Its Sunday already. Julia is 11 days old today. I have this very real fear that I may just wake up tomorrow and be 42 or so. The days click on by INCREDIBLY quickly in a little rhythm of meals, nursings, diapers, clothing changes and baths ~ with a healthy dose of laughter and joy thrown in too. I love this precious and fleeting time with these little babies. I feel like I blink and several hours pass by. Luke seems older by the moment ~ Every time I change him I feel like he must surely be 10 or so, he just feels like this giant CHILD to me all of a sudden. I know logically that its just the comparison to tiny little Jules, but still...who stole my baby and replaced him with this wonderful huge kid? Was it John Lennon who wrote that "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans?". Its so real to me at the moment that so much of life CAN'T be planned for, can't even be envisioned, until you are living it. I could not even fathom loving a new baby like I love Luke, taking care of two little souls, and here I am doing it. It's amazing what the heart is capable of. So many people (strangers, mostly!) relished telling me how difficult life was going to be with two ~ and here we are living it and loving it. Is it easy? In many ways. Its hard in ways as well. I'm sure that harder days lie ahead......but right now all that I have to do is to enjoy and savor today. And not worry about tomorrow. And the rest takes care of itself.
Thank you all for the sweet and thoughtful "big brother" presents that you have given Luke............amidst all of the books and toys and playdough etc whoever brought the present in this blue bag officially wins the 'favorite gift' award. The bag fits utterly perfectly atop his giant round noggin. He wants to wear it all the time. If it falls over his eyes he keeps right on walking confidently ~ sometimes right into walls, which really cracks him up. Me too.
Jules looks like a frilly little cupcake in the above pic. I love her in little dresses! If anyone noticed the world briefly stopping its rotation the other day, it was because I opened a present that my Mom brought for Julia and I squealed "Oooohhh, SMOCKING!!!!!" as I fingered the delicate pink dress. Yes, me. Squealing over smocking for pete's sake. The lights flickered in the house. This, from the girl who gave her poor mother FITS her whole life, insisting on wearing jeans, insisting on building tree forts instead of playing with dolls, insisting on playing Bo or Luke instead of Daisy, the one who wanted the Fonzie motorcycle instead of the Strawberry Shortcake bike. ME! Smocking!
Smocking, LOL! I felt the same way when I found out we were having a girl. I think my exact comment was something about me not really liking pink and her not wearing it...welcome to the world of adorable pepto-bismol colored clothes. Sounds like you love it as much I did!
ReplyDeleteAnd I had the "wow, you are going to be busy and it will be so hard" comments from strangers...like having one is a breeze of naps and bon-bons. Glad you are enjoying your busy newborn days.
baby clothes are so fun, but i ADORE little baby gorl clothes! i miss you and the kids already! send extra pictures and hugs...we got 6 in of snow (already melting) so i need somthing to warm me up!
ReplyDeletelove jen
I was interested to read your blog. As a parent you may be interested in being part of a university study I'm involved with. It’s about how infants and children develop. It wouldn’t take much of your time, and it’s a great way to contribute to knowledge by reporting on your own experiences. For more details go to the following address after copying it into your browser window, www.babysleepstudy.org. Best wishes, Rebecca
ReplyDelete