I was at the bookstore today picking up a baby book for Deuce, when I came across this book. It's called "A Baby Blessing" (By Welleran Poltarnees). As beautiful as the words are, they may be overshadowed by the beautiful artwork. Anyway, I can't get through it without crying, so I thought maybe some of you would be similarily touched by it. Here are the words............
I here bless this baby,
newly arrived, wishing for it all the good
things I here invoke, and others beyond my imaginings.
May the spirits of grace attend its coming,
and may angels guide its flowering.
Let this child be held and warmed,
made secure in this strange new world.
When this baby first opens its eyes,
may the face it looks upon be filled with love.
I pray that it be welcomed by many,
loved by many, and known by a myriad
of private and gentle names.
When this baby looks beyond
the faces of its family,
let it look upon a room where beauty reigns.
Let there be shapely toys waiting to be
touched into life, and a window
with a view of the world outside.
I wish for this child to know early in life
the hugeness of trees, the cold kiss of
snowflakes and the softness of rain.
May this small life be made rich with music.
Let there be songs on waking, happy songs at
play and gentle songs at night.
Let this baby's sleep be peaceful and may it
sail back each morning filled with the memory of sweet dreams.
May play fill this young life as it blossoms, so
that it may come to enjoy solitude as much as shared joy.
I hope that there are many animal companions,
each teaching gentleness, playfulness and kinship.
May this young body grow fully,
move freely,
breathe deeply and see clearly.
I hope, as this baby grows into childhood,
that those it meets praise it freely,
encouraging its fragile mystery to bloom
into radiant self.
When this child grows up and has children
of its own, let it never forget what it was like
to be first alive and richly welcomed.
Let all those who share in this baby's growing
learn from its laughter and joy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I could not think of a more appropriate blessing for my children. I love this book. Go get it.
**I do apologize in advance for this. Soon I will get back to my "making fun of myself" posts, but for now you all are going to have to endure this sappy Melissa stuff. Its hormones. I am like a giant weepy happy love sponge. Its sweet and icky to me at the same time :)**
No comments:
Post a Comment