Jules is a champ. She had her first Ped appointment today. She is (at day 6) already above her birthweight by 2.5 oz, so I am thrilled. Its amazing the inordinate amount of pride one takes in each ounce of weight gained when breastfeeding. Its so edifying to hear that you are doing a good job feeding your baby, and that she is doing a great job eating. Everything else at the Dr's was perfect. A healthy child is such a blessing.
In other TMI news, her umbilical cord stump thingy fell off today. A sure sign that I am not a first time Mom (I am embarassed to admit that when Lukes fell off I cried....it seemed he was "growing up too fast") I was happy to see Julia's gone. I also had a weird emotional attachment to Luke's ~ Somehow I felt really calloused just throwing this last link of the cord which once attached us in the trash ~ I mean, what do you really do with an umbilical cord stump? Flush it? Save it in the baby book? Bury it under a tree like the placenta freaks (sorry all you placenta lovers, but gag!!)? I remember keeping it around for a few days feeling totally flummoxed as to the proper way to dispose of it. I finally threw it, filled with shame, into the trash. (as an aside, did anyone see the Sex and the City episode where Miranda's kids falls off and the cat is playing with it? Always makes me laugh to think about that scene) This morning there was no internal debate ~ I told Nate, threatened to save it and grind it up in his Oatmeal if he was ever mean to me (Nate has a real distaste for all things weirdly human like umbilical cords, vomit, etc etc), and then chucked it in the trash.
I've come a long way, baby.
My girlfriends amaze me. Between my playgroup and church we are having dinner brought to us every night for the next two weeks. If you are reading this, dear girls ~ THANK YOU! You just have no idea how freeing it is to not have to worry about cooking dinner every night. Thank you.
Now that she is above her birthweight the Pedi told me that I no longer have to wake her up at night to feed her. Nice. Last night we went to sleep at 11, I woke her at 3 to eat, then again at 6. THUSFAR, she could not be an easier baby.
Luke has a new game that he loves. Its complicated. It goes like this.
*Identify Jules' location in any given room
*Walk over to her pointing and asking "Whats that?"
*Pull off one sock. Belly laugh.
*Pull off the other sock. Laugh even harder.
Its so damn cute I cant stand it. He has amazed me with the ease with which he is adjusting to another little person in the house.
So glad your two are bonding so well- but we need video proof. :)
ReplyDeleteThe first time I met my MIL, she took DH's cord stump out of a little box and showed it to me. So, in the interest of passing on stupid traditions, I too will take Julian's stump out of its special box (supplied by the hospital) to scare any potential life partners away so he will only have me me me!