I just left my 30 week appointment with my midwife, and a great potluck/blessing way/get together at her home afterwards. There were about 15 women there, 20 kids/babies, fabulous food, fabulous conversation, and the fun of supporting a mother about to give birth. There were two of us there who were celebrating our babies birthdays tomorrow, and the other women asked us to share what we were doing on this day two years ago. I had had a Dr's appt, was told that "there was no way that I was going into labor anytime soon", and told that the Dr. really really wanted me to schedule my repeat c section. I cried. I went and bought Castor oil, Nate went out with his brothers for a few hours, Dee came over, and I went to bed. At 3 am I woke up in labor. My sweet girl was born less than 12 hours later. I got teary talking about it today.
It didn't help that my dear friend Jeannie is laboring away right now at the same hospital that I delivered at, and I can't stop thinking about her and her much anticipated first babe....... the words to one my favorite children's books keeps running through my head ~
"While you waited in darkness,
tiny knees curled to chin,
the Earth and her creatures
with the Sun and the Moon
all moved in their places,
each ready to greet you
the very first moment
of the very first day you arrived"
I absolutely love birth. I loved giving birth, even my birth that went radically differently than I had anticipated (Luke and my CS). I love supporting my friends as they approach their births. I love hearing or reading birth stories. I can't wait to be a doula again someday and support other women as they experience the magical experience of bringing life into this world. Today, being surrounded by other women who also love birth, I felt extremely lucky and grateful. Birthdays are not just about babies and about marking the passing of time, but also about Mothers. I will always and forever think about what I was doing on their birthdays, remembering the events of their births, and the moments that I first got to see those sweet faces that I had so longed to meet.
We are planning a home birth for this baby. I feel so grateful to be able to do so, I frequently get teary with joy when I talk about it. Our midwife is amazing. The day that Luke was born was probably the best day of my life, I became a Mother that day. The day Julia was born was probably the most empowering day of my life, as I reclaimed faith in my body and its ability to birth as I hoped. I eagerly anticipate this babies birth and I trust that our experience bringing a baby into the world in a mother and baby friendly and supportive environment will be a wonderful experience ~ For me as an individual, for us as a couple, and for us as a family. My appointment today was wonderful. Kate (our midwife) laughed at this babies antics, this baby is a mover and a shaker, violently rocking my belly with their kicks. As I have known for a couple of weeks, the baby is head down and in a great position. My belly is now only measuring a week ahead, which thrills me. Everything looks perfect. We are already at the "every two week" point, and this birth is approaching rapidly! I have felt since I got pregnant that this baby may choose to arrive late ~ as this may be my last pregnancy I am in no rush to have it end, and on no artificial "must deliver by" date like I was with Julia. The weather is beautiful. Spring is creeping into PA. And today I hover close by my phone as I anticipate updates from Jeannie, and I hug my sweet daughter, knowing that two years ago she waited so patiently in darkness for these last few hours, awaiting her time to be born.
what a great blog...makes me think about my babies and their grand enteraces into the world! love you melis, your babes and jeannie, too!
ReplyDeletejen
You are such a beautiful writer! I got tears in my eyes thinking about sweet Julia waiting for her moment to be born! I love you girlfriend.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful entry. Birth really is a magnificent every day miracle.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Julia!
ReplyDeleteYour enthusiasm for birth and your children is awe-inspiring. How exciting to be planning for a home birth. I couldn't think of a better place for you to be relaxed and open to bringing you newest little sweetie into this world. Home birth goes beyond just the process of labor and birth but to the moments, hours and days after the birth. There is no rush to take the baby to be poked and observed heavily by someone that is not you. There are no timelines that most be meet that are unrealistic. It's you in your cave with all of your sweeties enjoying this amazing new arrival. I am so excited for you!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for inviting me to read your blog...I love it!
"On the Day You Were Born" is one of our all-time favorites too. I am teary, thinking of the beauty of welcoming a new life. Happy Birthday to sweet Julia. And joyous anticipation for the birth of your new little one. xo
ReplyDeleteLovely Melis! You brought tears to my eyes... as I too have been remembering Z's birth this week... my second baby, my girl after my boy... my completely natural labor and delivery, the wonderful support of my husband and fabulous midwife delivery. I'm so excited you are shooting for a home birth! HUGS!- Wen
ReplyDeleteit's so fun to finally read your blog posts, having been off line with henry for a while...
ReplyDeleteloving motherhood, and your blog - so much more now that I understand what you are talking about!