Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Don't look now.......




but Julia is about to turn two. I can't believe my funny girl will be two on Friday!

I sit here on the couch a soggy mess after a terribly long 24 hours. Jules puked in her crib overnight on Saturday (a first ~ nothing quite like walking in to a puke crib at 8 am on a Sunday morning ~ ick). That seemed to be it for her, she ate normally all day, had no fever, and life just totally went on.

Monday morning Luke woke up with really crusty and swollen eyes. I groaned at potential pink eye, called the Dr, skipped yoga, and gave him some eye drops. He seemed fine. He woke up from his nap, came downstairs, told me his stomach hurt, and proceeded to puke everywhere. Ugh. I made him a simple dinner, skipped yoga again that night, and put my little man to bed. I then spent the night getting repeatedly covered in his puke, changing the sheets three times, and ultimately sleeping in his bed with his feverish little self. In three years, this was our first puke-the-bed or overnight puke type illness deal. It sucks! I felt so awful for my brave little guy ~ He now knows to run right to the toilet, I rub his back while he gets sick, and then he looks up at me with his beautiful big eyes and asks me to wipe his face. He is so brave and stoic it brings tears to my eyes. (I am NOT brave and stoic while getting sick to my stomach, it turns me directly into a sniveling little baby, in fact). It is amazing how as a Mother you are given some sort of inhuman ability to deal with whatever sort of bodily fluid comes your way. I did not have this ability before I had children. It was a long night. Nate came in Luke's room to kiss me goodbye at 5 am as he took off for the airport, and I went back to sleep.

I came downstairs with Luke this morning, and instantly knew I was in big trouble. I have spent a miserable day wracked with the can't-keep-water-down sort of gastro bug. Not fun. The worst part is that I was due to host play group tomorrow and we were having cupcakes and pizza and happy birthday Julia sort of plans.....and instead I am going to be a sniveling wreck in bed as my Mom helps me with my kids. Throwing up while two little faces look at you asking "you okay, Mama? Mama, you sick? Mama, don't cry!" and another one kicks you from inside, is really the pits. Tonight I can finally keep fluids down, and am trying to rehydrate as my dehydrated self was wracked with strong and frequent Braxton Hicks contractions all afternoon. Ugh.

I don't know what the deal is, but in talking to my friends today it seems that our play group and many of my girlfriends/kids in this area are suddenly decimated with illness after a long winter of relative health. Spring getting us? Who knows.

Could use prayers for a return to health in our home.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you guys are hanging in there!!! I had to laugh at Luke knowing how to run to the toilet now....Mike taught Marie how to puke into a bucket and she was doing it all by herself by the end. The laundry that comes along with the stomac bug is almost as daunting as the bug itself! Hope you're feeling better, and that all three babies are doing ok.

    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better Melissa! And...the tu tu pick with the butt cheeks is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all are in our thoughts and prayers! The stomach flu stinks (literally)! We had it when I was 31 weeks pregnant. 2 puking kids and a puking husband while big and pregnant was almost more that I could take! Who knew such a tiny human could produce so much vomit?! Yuck! Here's to feeling much, much better very very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, here's to health returning. Sounds like a very sad little Mangan home. Glad to hear the little scubadiver is kicking away during the fiasco though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! It's horrible to see your kids be sick, and then for you to do it while pregnant? Hope you are 100% by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you are on the mend by now, but reading this made me so happy you had your mom to help out. There's nothing like being sick to make you appreciate having a great mom.

    ReplyDelete