Friday, April 17, 2009

Do the Zoo







Today was a storybook day. I am so glad that I did not eat one of the children back on Monday or Tuesday, as they both brought me inordinate joy today :)

We left the house at 9 am ~ ready for a morning at the Zoo. We probably visited the zoo a good 8 or 9 times last year, as we tried to take advantage of our membership. As I cruised down 76 I had flashbacks of our first trip to the zoo last year as a Mom/15 mo old/not yet two month old. I sweated, in remembrance. It was hard. We did it, but it was hard. I honestly remember my stomach clenching as we parked, thinking about nursing, walking, feeding, shading, diapering, entertaining, naps and so on.

I am happy to say that today was a blast. I got to catch up with my much loved friend Jenny and her sweet and beautiful Elisabeth, and the kids had a great time.

Oh, the change from a 1 year old at the zoo to a 2 year old at the zoo! I had to laugh as I remembered Luke's very first visit to the zoo, which happened in Norfolk, at the tender age of 7 weeks old, on our first rugby road trip. As Nate got ready for his game, I took Luke to the zoo. He slept through the entire adventure,and I felt like I was again entertaining my cousins "Flat Stanley" as I propped his stroller up against different animals. It was about me, not about Luke.

Today was a whole new game. "More Animals!" Luke kept exclaiming. Jules seemed to catch his excitement, and continually uttered "Dat? Dat! DAT!" as she pointed and watched. The sunshine made me feel joy. My kids made me feel joy.

Luke, you have become a dipper. Every time we eat bread with dinner I hear "Dip Dip Dip!" at least 30 times as he begs for the olive oil. Last night Luke dipped all of his chicken in balsamic creme. The other day, it was hummus, baba ganoush the day before that. Turkey and cheese roll ups get dipped in mustard. Today, they had a sippy cup that proved leaky. It made a generous puddle in the floor of our BOB. Luke dipped his hot dog in the puddle. Not just once. He felt a physical NEED to dip that dog. I was disgusted.

All dirty water dipping aside, it was a glorious day. I love and need my girlfriends, and, Jenny ~ to get to catch up today was a gift. The kids fell asleep in the car, and transferred into cribs/beds seamlessly. They slept for a few hours while I recovered. We went to our little "family Friday happy hour" at the gym, so the kids played, we worked out, and then all ate pizza at home. I bathed our little infidels, and off to bed they went.

Some days are really hard. Some days are really easy. Some days I just kiss on bellies and wonder how on earth I lucked into these wonderful little sunbeams I call my kids.

1 comment:

  1. Here's to many more days like this for you and your munchkins. Well, maybe minus the dirty dipping!

    (And can I just say how jealous I am of your little food connoisseur? We are not "ketchup-ers" either, but let me tell you, I can see the allure of covering everything in a sugary tomato paste that magically makes toddlers eat...I might even try it if I thought it would work).

    ReplyDelete