Thursday, August 9, 2007

I scream, You scream



We all scream for Ice Cream.

Now we know that Luke screams FROM ice cream too.

Bad parents. Lesson learned. No matter how cute that wide open pleading "I want a bite of that" face is, no matter how fervent and insistent the "feed me that" cues, we must resist feeding the baby ice cream at all times.

Its been a long couple of days. On Monday night Luke had a few bites of Rita's ~ some of the vanilla custard part of a Gelotti. Didn't think twice about it. My adventurous little eater is flat out fascinated with all things food and has not balked at a single thing we have fed him. So, a few small harmless bites of soft serve from Dad...great idea....right? Cute and funny how delighted he was at the taste, right? Wrong. That night I was up about 3 or 4 times with a crying baby ~ very unlike Luke. That morning as I was changing his third poopy diaper of the day (again, not like Luke to go so often) I noticed some snotty like mucousy blood in the diaper. Ugh. Not normal, not good. Luckily Jenny was about 2 minutes away from our house as we were getting together that day, so I greeted her at the door with an "I need you to look at something gross". Luckily Jenny is not just a pediatric nurse, she is also one of my best friends and shares my penchant for OCD~like worrying. She confirmed that it did appear to be blood, and told me to call the DR but not panic, it was likely absolutely nothing. I wracked my brain to come up with some potential cause, something new in his diet. I had let him suck on a pickle when Dee and I were out to lunch the day before, could that be it? When Dad was over for dinner that night we had handed Luke a roll to gum away at, could that be it? Never thought of the ice cream.
Anyway. Long story short, Luke is fine. It appears that the blood in the stool (ew, and sorry for the explicit grossness that telling this story mandates) was caused by what will likely turn out to be a dairy allergy. Babies are not supposed to have dairy before at least 9 months of age. Add to that the fact that I had a dairy allergy as a child, and it is likely that this is the culprit. I did take Luke to the DR......sheepishly confessed what we had inadvertently done to our innocent child, and she made me feel a lot better with an admission that her husband fed their son ice cream with nuts in it at 7 months! Doh. The part that was stressful was that the DR said that I should eliminate all dairy from my diet as I am nursing and this is likely a dairy allergy. This was like a bomb going off for me. I am pregnant, and nursing, and love me some milk.
After much soul searching, talking to Nate, and Jenny, and Leanne, I have decided to keep a close watch on Luke and continue to follow my normal diet. Luke pooped a whole lot of times yesterday, all of them normal. I feel as though the ice cream was a jolt to his little system, and that it worked its way through, and things are (hopefully) back to normal. I will continue to keep a close eye on things and hopefully all will be normal from here out.

I find it ironic that a post or two ago I was complaining about changing diapers with morning sickness, and then mere days later I was literally examining each and every part of gross dirty diapers to ascertain what exactly what was, or wasn't, in them. Nothing so stomach clenching as sifting through baby poop with your heart in your throat hoping not to find any blood.

It was really scary. I take it for granted that Luke is healthy, strong and thriving. The moment that something caused me to question that, it hit me full force how fragile and tenuous that presumption of perfect health is.

It was so much fun to have Jenny over as Maggie and Luke are almost exactly the same age spread as Luke and our new addition will be. This new baby is also due on the exact same day as Maggie was! I can only hope for a little one as sweet, beautiful, and easy going as little Maggs is. It was just a surreal feeling to watch Maggie walking around like a little Frankenstein as Luke sat around and watched her ~ its like fast forwarding a year.

Nate and I have been driving around and looking at areas that we would want to live in, the DC condo is on the market now, and we are getting ready to get this house ready to list, although we are in no huge rush to get this house on the market. It will likely sell quickly as the borough is very desirable. Maybe by the end of September or early October. Anyone interested in a Mclean VA Condo?

No comments:

Post a Comment