Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Gifts from my Boys




Yes, this is a picture of Nate teasing the baby with fatty pork products.

But that isn't what this entry is about. This is about the gift that my guys gave me in the past 24 hours.

Yesterday I had a Dr's appointment. At this stage of pregnancy that consists of sitting in the waiting room for one hour, experiencing the indignity of handing a nurse a cup filled with your own urine, and then seeing the Dr for about 3 min (after the 65 min wait), long enough for him to tell me that my blood work looks great, and send me on my way with a pat on the ass. Just kidding, no pat on the ass. But it feels like a verbal pat on the head ~ great job! keep it up! see you in four weeks! DING. Next patient. Baaaaaaa....the assembly line of pregnant sheep continues to wind through the office. Anyway, that isn't what this post is about either.

We went to King of Prussia mall to meet Becca for some lunch. As I was driving home, Brooke called me and cancelled. She was supposed to babysit Luke last night so that Jenny and I could take advantage of the awesome right-behind-home-plate diamond club Phillies tickets that Dad had given me. Nate was in DC and planning on being home later that night, so I was relying solely on Brooke so that Jenny and I could go. As it was about 60 degrees and raining, it was NOT a night that I wanted to take Luke to the game with us. I was so disappointed.

I texted Nate the bad news and he said that he would take care of it. Turns out my sweet husband left DC early to come home and take care of Luke so that Jenny and I could go to the game! The depth and breadth of notes that I left was a little embarrassing (This is Luke's food, this is his bib, remember to change his diaper, his pajamas are laid out etc etc etc.....) Anyway. Nate got home right at 5.30, we performed the "hand off the baby" routine, and Jenny and I got to the game well before the start. It was a great game, and the Phils won 5-4, Ryan Howard stole his first base ever, and Nate took Luke to watch his first ever football practice down the street at Henderson. It made me so happy to think of my boys hanging out together at home, and it was just so great to have several uninterrupted hours with Jenny without one kid or another pulling at our leg.

I got home and Luke was safely tucked into bed (still breathing too, I checked) and appeared to be in one piece, as did Nate. How proud was I? It was great.

Anyway. I haven't really gone into it here as I have been away so much, but we have been having some sleep issues around this house lately. In the wake of two weeks of Luke sleeping with me most nights on our vacations, the little critter seems to have taken a liking to having a warm food source nestled up directly against his little face all night long. Imagine his dismay when we got home and aforementioned food source and nurturer extraordinaire was nestled away next to Dad in another bedroom. Agony. Luke was up several times a night lately. So we started the whole "sleep training" thing on Sunday night to get us back to the happy place of Luke sleeping through the night.

Cutting to the chase here, Luke slept from 8 PM till 7 AM! I was THRILLED (although I admit I woke up in a panic and rushed into his room when I woke up and saw that it was light outside........he was sitting up happily looking around his crib when I entered his room....it's funny to think of him having this little 'secret life' of alone time in his room, looking around at his stuff and thinking whatever little thoughts babys think)

So. A night out alone with a girlfriend, and a FULL night of sleep for this pregnant Mama. I am over the moon with happiness. I love my boys.

We have playgroup today so I need to get it into gear, we had to miss last time as we were recovering from the "blood in diaper" incident, so I am so excited to see everyone, chow down and have our kiddos play (I have to brag that our playgroup has the best potluck lunches in town ~ we know how to eat!!!). Now that Luke is crawling playgroup is going to be a whole new world of exploration. I cant wait.

1 comment:

  1. Hi honey! Can't believe you stayed for the whole, rainy game. I saw Howard's "first stolen base" before I zoned out! Loved catching your blog on this rainy morning. Give that sweetpea a big kiss from Mom-Mom. XO

    ReplyDelete