Friday, December 10, 2010

So, this was a strange morning.





About a month ago a friend and former work colleague of mine called me. He asked if I was free the next day and if I would allow the kids to be on TV. This friend works for QVC and needed kid people to play with a toy, on camera, to be aired on QVC. It didn't end up working with our schedule that time....but I got the call again yesterday. I dutifully straightened the house, laid out clothes for the kids, and got it all together by 8;45 when the film crew showed up.

Only issue? They neglected to tell me that this time they were not shooting for a toy....but for an e-reader. Reader being the operative term. The kids can't read. So guess who was getting filmed? Me. Me, with my "been stuck in the house all week" look on, no less. Hawt, I tell you, hawt. It was pretty funny. I got to do "real" things like lay on the couch in front of the fire at 9 am slowly and luxuriously page through my latest book in blissful silence. All I was missing was my bon bon's! Because, really, folks, that is what we SAHM's do, you know. Blissful reading in front the fire all day. Yup. In a performance which will surely get a nod from the Academy,. make my stomach hurt as I watch it with a red face, I got to lovingly read my two snuggly preschoolers a kids book on the e-reader. They even roped poor Nate in on this, *Dad-in-the-green-sweater* delivered a stirring performance as *dad-who-sips-coffee-while-smiling-at-his-family-and-e-reader* guy.

If you feel like getting a good laugh at my family (even Jake is in this) you can check it out on Dec 19th on QVC, it will be airing all day. I will be hiding in a hole, dying of shame and embarrassment.

9 comments:

  1. I think that is soooo cool and I will be watching for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what?? tell me you'll get a clip that we can see, those of us who don't know what qvc is? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! When my boys were 3 and 5 I took them to the Crayola Factory sometime in November. Staff pulled me aside and asked if they could film my boys and I and I said "sure". They took us into a room with a "model dad" (complete with green christmas sweater), and we put together a craft with an elf "helper". It ran on local TV all of December. My boys "payment" for their big debut? A big box of crayola markers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to see it! From the photos you look great, actually hot, hardly the nasty grimy self you describe. Cannot wait to see nate as the dad in the green sweater, your adorable kids on screen, bonbons and more. no hiding out in holes, this is the beginning of a hollywood legacy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super Cool Melissa! Will it air nationally, or just locally?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg it will be national. And I owe you a phonecall ~ was at a funeral yesterday but I will call you today at naptime! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. funniest thing ever! i hope it turns into a super fun career...serious melis..only you!!!
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen ~ I hear you on the "only you" thing........but you know that you have to include my Mom in that! Being as how I hate all things reality TV or child stars, this will definitively NOT become a career, in fact, having done this "favor" I admit to feeling a little aghast that I let it even happen ~ live and learn I suppose. But yes, the whole time that this was happening to us I was thinking ~ DAMN don't I have my Mom's genes? The weirdest things happen to us. I swear that she gave me her "freak magnet" gene ~ we attract the strangest moments/situations by smiling at people too often. I generally then deflect weird situations well via my mutant blunt gene, but my Mom gets roped into them all the time (she has no mutant blunt gene, obvs). This one snuck up on me. The further out I get from the bizarre situation, the more appalled I am by the very fact that I allowed it. When like 8 people (and a friend) descend on your home and start setting up lights it is very hard to be like "uh, no dude, I had this all wrong. My bad. We are heading to the park! Carry on!".

    This may be the first time I succumbed to peer pressure since I got pregnant with Jake :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to unblock QVC from my channel settings and set my DVR. Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete