Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Eve, 2010




It was really magical.

I know I'm not a Santa-y superstar, I think that the magical aspects were more related to everyone being healthy and the simple joy we all got from being with family. Hot off of the heels of Grandma and Grandpa's visit, the excitement of Christmas Eve, and our concurrent return to health kicked in.

I already don't remember how we spent the morning. I know that we put the kids down early so that we could wake them in time to get to Church with everyone at 4. We made it. It was lovely. After that, we went directly to Becca and Rich's house where we were treated to an incredible meal of holiday soup and homemade pizza. Great joy was experienced.

My sister, who I adore, made the kids the most beautiful and creatively handpainted 'big day' plated that I have ever seen (in addition to their other gifts). We cherish them. Nothing screams "I love you" like something handmade for you. Bec and Rich, we love you.

They carefully selected their favorite cookies for Santa and we put them by the fireplace. Julia and Luke tossed their Reindeer Dust (courtesy of Jules preschool class) onto the lawn. We read "The Polar Express" (I cried....I'm totally that Mom who is the most sentimental un Santa-y Mom.....something about the idea of hearing that sleigh bell ringing just killed me). My sweet little kids went to bed.

Nate and I had so much fun bringing their presents out, stuffing their stockings, and generally just giggling like kids. We opened our gifts to one another. I got teary again. What luck! I love my husband, and feel so glad that he is my kids big baby daddy. We went to bed with the camera by our bedside......waiting to see what the morning would hold.

Would they remember? That was our big question. Would they wake up and remember that it was Christmas?

I confess that it was me who had a hard time getting to sleep in my excitement for the morning.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I'm a very un-Santa mom too, but those sleigh bells are the beginning of the end, in the best way possible.

    We did the Christmas Eve thing, and it was glorious chaos. I'm so in love with 99% of my new family.

    It looks like you guys had a great time too. Handmade stuff - ultimate win. I hear those Kindles are pretty sweet too ;)

    ReplyDelete