Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Under his wings.


Tuesday I picked the kids up at school. As it is drop off/pick up, either Luke or Julia's teacher walks the two of them out to my car every day.

On Tuesday, Luke's teacher was it. She walked up to me as the kids climbed in and said ~

"Luke is such a nurturer, such a kind kid. He loves his baby sister so much. Julia was having a hard time when she came into chapel today and she was crying. Luke saw her and ran right over to her and threw his arms around her, he totally took her under his wing. She immediately cheered up and so we let her sit right next to Luke the entire time (instead of with her class), and they held hands for most of it".

I got teary (the proud kind). I asked her what was going on with Julia and she said that she was just having a hard day, she had been a little off.

I climbed up in the car. I started to drive out of the lot. This had been a hard morning as I had not slept the night before due to Jake. I looked back at my kids, sitting in the third row in their car seats, holding hands. I asked them about chapel. Julia said ~

"Mama, I was sad and Luke ran over and gave me a big hug and he just tucked me right under his wings and then I was happy".

I have no idea if the wings thing was something that she overheard the teacher saying to me, or if she had heard the phrase before, or what...........but the image of my boy just "tucking her under his wings" when she was having a day just about made my heart burst.

Having kids this close is not for everyone. But when moments like this occur, I would not ever wish it any other way.


8 comments:

  1. I love your kids! What a great big brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3

    (This is what makes the close spacing so worthwhile for us as well. Maybe we just lucked out that our kids are close friends, but I fervently hope it lasts throughout their lives).

    ReplyDelete
  3. made me teary. They are so freakin' cute.
    I think they are the poster kids for sibling friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That just brought tears to my eyes. God bless your little ones. They are the epitome of love AND friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, that was the sweetest thing I've heard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, now I'm teary! Julia is very lucky to have a big brother like Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so fantastic... giving them eachother is the best gift...
    jen

    ReplyDelete