Wednesday, October 13, 2010

3 vs. 1 (aka I do the Zoo)





We hit the Zoo for the first time since Jake was born, and we hit it sans Daddy.

This summer was just so hot and Jake was nursing so often, that we didn't see a way to make it work without having it feel like a death march. But, on a beautiful fall Friday, I took on the challenge. I headed down with 3 of my girlfriends and our collective 8 children. We were severely outnumbered. But thanks to the double stroller, the babyhawk (my forever friend as it allows me to nurse Jake while walking around ~ lifesaver) and a hand at times from my friends, the day was a breeze. This being outnumbered is so not the nightmare that people make it out to be.

The night before we went Nate told the kids to dream about what animals they wanted to see at the Zoo. So at breakfast the next morning, they made lists of what they wanted to see. The zoo does not have crabs. This fact made Luke cry. What is it with this kid and crabs? Then the list itself made both kids cry (Nate wrote both lists on one paper ~ critical tactical error. When there are two kids there must be two lists). Lesson learned, list #2 was written. We also carted around Tigger, Julia's class "mascot" who we were entrusted with last Thursday. I was terrified that I was going to be that Mom.....the one who lets Tigger take an unseen header out of the stroller and breaks the hearts of a class of Tigger loving preschoolers when I report his death. What pressure, this preschool stuff is! Now I'm charged with taking in stray stuffed animals and showing them a good time. Happily, Tigger made a safe return to preschool this Tuesday, with a big sigh of relief from me. Now I have to make it through the parents coffee, fire safety day (complete with friendly neighborhood fire truck, the stop drop roll song, and even a real live fireman) and the Halloween Parade. October is quite a busy month in Pre School world. Who knew.

We got to the zoo before 9:30, and stayed till 1. The kids and I all napped (exhausted!) when we got home, but a great day was had by all of us. Three kids no Daddy at the Zoo? Check.


1 comment: