Me: Who do you want to pray for?
Jules: Daddy
Luke: Welllllll, we prayed for Aunt Marti last night, so I don't know.
Me: Well, you can pray for anyone that you love.
Luke: Okay. I want to pray for Aunt Marti.
Me: Okay. Dear God, thank you for this beautiful day at the zoo, and for all of the amazing animals that you made.
Luke interjects: Mama! The animals were at the Zoo, we SAW them!
Me: Yes Luke, but God still made them.
Luke: God even made the crabbies? (who we did not see, but who were on Luke's list, which you will see once I download pictures)
Me: Yep, God made the crabbies too!
Luke: But Mama, the crabbies might bite God!
Me: You know Luke, I think that God is pretty safe from the crabbies.
Luke: Well, Mama, God must be more careful than you, because the crabbies bit you!
*insert my hilarious laughter*
I don't know that I wrote about it, but we had a vicious hermit crab attack of Mama about 6 weeks ago. I think that I may have been too ashamed to write about it, but it happened. It occured about a week after they joined our household......back when I was still convinced that surely I was about to accidentally kill them via neglect at any given moment. I would pick them up to "check" on them, aka make sure they moved. One time, Abbey didn't move. I touched him. (I think that Abbey is the him, I get them confused. We are very open to the continuum theory in our household, so crab and gender names are inconsequential to us) The little crab bastard bit me. Bit me, really, really hard. Like, bleeding, while engaged. I had Jake in my arms. I screamed. I screamed because it hurt, hurt a LOT. I laid Jake on the floor while Abbey dangled from my finger. I screamed again. I tried to dislodge Abbey. She took offense to my attempts, and clenched harder. Repeat, clench. Scream. Repeat, clench. Scream. (At this point the kids started crying). Repeat, clench. Scream. I contemplated smashing the crab against the granite, and weighed the emotional repercussions of the kids seeing Mama smash their new pet into oblivion. Repeated. Screamed. Repeated, broke into a sweat, a literal sweat. Got Abbey off. Cried. Bled. Cursed (somewhat quietly). Called Nate in tears. Took pictures of my bloody crab mangled finger. Felt shame. Who gets attacked by a hermit crab? Me.
Obviously the crab thing made quite an impression on the kids. And I do concur with Luke, that God is likely more careful than me.
Luke I knew someone was praying for me--I had a great week.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I'm sure the crab was just giving your mom a love bite.
Oh my goodness!! What an ordeal! I actually remember once as a kid, one of our pet gerbils bit my mom in that same way on her thumb. Would not let go. She did spike that gerbil off our basement concrete. Skeezix didn't make it.
ReplyDeleteI hope you got a poking stick to 'check' on the crabs from now on!
That literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the laugh, Melissa, even if it was at your expense ;)
ReplyDeletei wish i was there...! i just love the imagery!
ReplyDeletejen