Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween week





I swear when I was a kid Halloween was a one night gig. Nowadays there is the halloween party at the gym, at school, the big (huge! ) West Chester Halloween Parade, etc etc etc. This morning Luke said, "Mama, Halloween is my favorite season!" and I have to concur that suddenly Halloween feels like a season, not a day.

That said, it has been really fun, thusfar. The kids love getting dressed up. The candy is excitedly gathered, then pretty much forgotten about once I put it out of site (that is code for in-my-own-belly). The Halloween parade was a blast (we have graduated from the double stroller to a wagon and sling ~ nice). The kids were so cute walking hand in hand into preschool on Thursday morning that tears sprung to my eyes ~ I feel like I am going to blink and these outfits will be on my kids again.....but not as costumes. Luke's class put on quite a little show, singing about 6 songs they had learned and then parading around the parking lot. Watching the parents was hilarious ~ no one actually watched the parade, we all watched it through our camera or video camera or iPhone lense. Crazy. I felt weirdly emotional at the little parade. Don't know why. Perhaps the sight of all of these precious, much loved children, just so happy and well fed and clean and loved and proud and beaming just made me so very aware of how many kids have less. Seeing the kids all so proud of their little costumes and their little songs just made me feel so very grateful. I picked up Jake's car seat and headed back to the car. As I turned around, I saw the most vibrant red cardinal I have ever seen in my life sitting on a wire directly above my head, looking at the children. My Mom Mom loved cardinals. Every time I see one I feel her presence. I felt like she was there with us in spirit, her mind clear, her body free, and enjoying the site of all of these sweet little kids. Oh, how she loved little babies and children! I miss her so much. I still find myself reaching for my cell phone to call her more often than I care to admit. It makes me so happy to know that my Julia bears her name.

The Halloween parade in West Chester was a blast. It was a beautiful night, and it felt magical to walk down the street while hundreds/thousands of little fairies and pirates and all sorts of costumed children frolicked around us. The kids loved the parade, we taught Luke to panhandle for candy using his football helmet, and a good time was had by all.

Right now all three kids are sleeping. Nate and I are watching football. A pot roast cooks. We are trick or treating tonight in our old neighborhood. Can't wait to see everyone, to watch the kids proudly trot up to doors screaming "Trick or Treat!", and to gain 5 more lbs on Halloween Candy.

Happy Halloween, all. Blessings to you and yours!

3 comments:

  1. Loved the comment about the cardinal; I'm sure she was watching her adorable great-grandchildren! My mom loved rainbows...every time I see one I know she is with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of my nan..missing her so much..

    ReplyDelete