Monday, June 4, 2007

Soggy Sunday

On more level's than one. The day started out nicely with Luke sleeping LONG and LATE, which let me do the same. Upon rising the reality of my messy house and barren refridgerator set in. I gave Luke a bath, and, like clockwork got peed on when I put him in the water. He essentially gets bathed in a 2% urine solution, as he pees straightaway each time I put him in the warm tub. I block it with a washcloth, but still....it just goes in the water with him. Nate set out to work in the yard while I went grocery shopping. I foodshopped without Luke strapped to my chest for the first time since he was born! I decided to make a big pot of meatballs and gravy as the forecast was for heavy rain....it sounded like a good day to watch the golf and baseball and settle in on the couch. After getting the food put away and the house straightened up a little I made the sauce and meatballs and started to settle in for the afternoon. Sundays used to be one of my least favorite days of the week when I had a career ~ the dread of heading back into the office weighed heavily on me most Sunday afternoons/evenings. Since having Luke I enjoy Sundays in a whole new way. Usually.

The happy news was that Luke rolled over from his back to his front yesterday and we got it on video tape for once! He also is suddenly this new kid when it comes to grabbing at his toys. It's so amazing ~ When these milestones happen they happen so quickly. Its as though one day he grabs nothing, the next day, and every day thereafter, he grabs everything (and he shoves it all directly and without hesitation into his mouth) ! The unhappy news is that we had noticed that Mulligan was being, well, weird. Mopey and depressed~ish and just strange. We realized yesterday morning that he was sick ~ Probably from being borded over Memorial Day weekend. Last night Nate decided that Mulligan needed some "extra love" so he let the dog get up on the couch with him. Great, sweet idea, right? Mulligan proceeded to show his gratitude for this extra attention by vomitting all over the couch. And the floor. And then, because dog's can't simply vomit once, or quickly, they have to drag it out into a stomach rattling exhibit in which it appears they might turn themselves inside out with effort, they vomit some more. At this point I was screaming and chasing him as he heaved and did his vomit dance, trying despretely to get him onto the wood floors and not the carpet. Please picture me, screaming, following a hurling, cowering, panicked puking dog in a circle around the dining room table. Lovely. All of my best efforts were in vain, and he puked one last time for good measure on the Persian rug. Way to pick the most expensive one in the house, big guy.
Since that was already such a fun situation, Nate and I decided to make it MORE fun by then getting in a FIGHT about it! :) Yip Yah. I love my husband dearly, but I honestly and with all my heart do NOT think that either Spaghetti, CHEESE or Asprin would fix the dog. He is sick, and needed to go to the vet on Monday morning. After sharing my opinions, he his, we decided to agree to disagree and I went upstairs, saying that the dog had to sleep in the kitchen. This way we could take the little rug out of there, and Mully could throw up to his hearts delight as there would be nothing to puke on but hardwood floors.
Nate and I kissed and made up last night, and slept well,as did Luke.
Fast forward to 6 am. I get up to pump, come down to the kitchen, where Mulligan spent the night. The rug has not been removed from the kitchen, and guess where the dog chose to get sick yet again? So at 6 am I was heaving, holding my nose, and wishing fervently that my Mom was still the Mom, that I wasnt "the Mom" and that she would be along shortly to clean up the disgusting, stomach wrenching mess. As far as I know my Mom is sleeping peacefully nestled next to my Dad, in their lovely baby and dog free, very CLEAN house, while I still swear I can smell the horrid odor lingering round these parts. It hits me very hard sometimes that I am the Mom. Ugh. Motherhood is filled with unimagineable joys, but it is also filled with unimagineable FLUIDS, and the task will always and forever fall to us to clean them up.

Luke, I pray that you have a stomach of steel and don't make me clean up a lot of human throw up in your lifetime. The dog keeps me busy enough.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for rolling Luke!!!

    Wee is hygenic anyway so he's just getting extra clean- or so says my mother who insists I weed every single bath until I was 5 (I do not believe this!).

    ReplyDelete