Monday, June 18, 2007

It's Infectious



Well, big fella, we got through your appointment today. You absolutely shredded me by being so wonderfully happy, and adoring, and sweet this morning before we had to leave. I was taking you to the Dr by myself for the first time, with the knowledge that there were going to be shots involved. I tried to act cool and like I was totally unfazed by it to your Dad, but he saw right through me and suggested that Mom Mom come along with me. Could it be that the fact that I cried longer than you did at your 2 month shots had made an impression upon him? Anyway, Mom Mom had plans and it was just you and me. The simple act of putting your smiley little self into the car seat made tears come to my eyes. This is just so not me, buddy. The thought of someone hurting you reduces me to versions of myself. Two different versions ~ one who is simply a blubbery little fool knowing that the Dr is going to hurt you, but it is in your best interests and I have researched and sanctioned it ~~~ and another that is the Mama Bear on Steroids ~ the version of me that kicks in when I so much as THINK of someone hurting you, demeaning you, or otherwise making you unhappy. That is the one that I try not to show anyone ~ but rest assured little guy, it lurks not far beneath the surface.

Anyway. The appointment. As those who love me know, Luke has been putting me through some hoops in the past 7 days. Starting last Monday night, we have had more than a couple up-three-or-four-times a night sort of nights. So totally unlike my kid. In the right hand corner was Luke, weighing in at 16 lbs 4.5 oz, 2 feet, 1 inch tall, and boasting a 17 inch head. In the other corner was an adoring, tired, Mama. We will post neither the height nor the weight of the Mama to keep her self respect intact.
Luke turned on all his charm for the appointment. The Dr was amazed by the fact that he is already sitting up, rolls around at will, and was turning around while on his belly to follow the sound of her voice. Now, at the risk of sounding like one of those awful, competitive, comparing, i-want-to-shove-their-face-in-the-sand- sort of Mama's, I am going to note what the Dr said. I am not bragging, I am simply documenting. She said that Luke has the physical ability of a 7 month old baby. She went on to comment on his social skills, at the way he made eye contact and was socially interacting above his age level. She said that he would be an "early walker" ~ i told her that I had walked before 9 months, and she said that if she were to lay a bet, she bet he would walk before I had. Now, call me a sexist, but I have just been banking on the fact that Luke, as a boy, would be safely trapped in his relatively unmobile non-walking body until at least a year. We are planning our trip to Italy for October (he will be 7.5-8 mos), and I have been fully counting on a baby who isn't even crawling ~ so I will be very curious to see who is more on target, she or I. Trust me, I didn't in any way doubt my son, I just don't want to be one of those Moms who is constantly looking at the NEXT milestone ~ I simply want to enjoy and savor what it is that he is currently doing. My desire to continue feeding Luke solely via nursing was supported ~ she said that looking at his weight and growth there was no need or reason to introduce solids at this juncture. Ditto my desire to not take those stupid vitamins ~ the kid spends his day's on the beach, at the pool, or at home taking a long walk around town ~ there is no risk of Luke being Vitamin D deficient on my watch. Hooray.


She, like me, adored our baby. She appreciated his personality, his in dependant nature, and his strength. She appreciated Nate and I as his parents, and made me feel so good about the job we are doing nurturing him. It was the most edifying Dr's visit I have ever had, or even imagined.

AS to the waking up at night thing..........what Dr. Mom was attributing to teething or a cold was actually an ear infection. Turns out the little critter had an infected left ear. The Dr. said that it was likely the cause of the night waking. The fact that he was still mostly happy and easy going all day long led her to recommend that we not start antibiotics at this point, but to schedule a follow up visit for a week from now to see if it had cleared up. We did not do his shots today, in an effort to help his little body have the strength to fight this on its own. Should the ear infection be resolved in a week, we will do the shots then, should things get worse in the meantime, we will reassess and consider antibiotics.


PS~! I left my cell phone charger at the beach ~ so to those of you who have texted or called me and not heard back, OOPS. Good thing you love me despite my technical challenges! Call me at home or email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment