Jake and his Daddy waiting for the "Giggle Juice" to arrive.
Jake solemnly models his new hospital pajamas and his ID band.
He was SO patient during the hours of waiting, despite the fact that he had not had any food since the night before or water in hours. I was so impressed with him and proud of him.
Semi drunk on his giggle juice and clutching his cars, he is wheeled off to surgery with nary a tear.It took him a LONG time to wake up. Part of it was the drugs, part was simple exhaustion as my nap.every.day. kid hadn't had a nap.
Out cold in the recovery room.
This is Jake, sound asleep sitting up;
Poor guy is in a lot of pain but is being a real trooper. This stuff is NOT easy!
Its been a long day. We found out on Friday that Jakes surgery arrival time was 1:30 on Monday afternoon. I was FLOORED. I had assumed that it would be early, as he is so young, and patients can't eat after 11PM the night before surgery. I was only part right. Since he was staying over night, he was scheduled for the afternoon as the Mornind kids go first. WHAT?????? I was so upset, although I understand why they do it...Anyway. M cyclids aaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddddd
*Editing to say that I actually fell asleep typing last night.
It was a super long night. His pulse ox just would not stay up where it had to be (mid 90
s) and was dipping into the high 70's, so alarms kept going off, people coming in, meds being given etc etc. And did I mention we are in a double room? Yep. Neighbors across the curtain, recovering from the same surgery. The Mom was lovely, but both boys were in pain and up most of the night.
TOday was similarily tough. Jake refuses to eat or drink. Getting his Oxyodone and ibuprofin into him is a wrestling match (I do it myself as he takes it best from me.....though still not well). He spent most of the day sleeping on me, in his crib. I'm shacked up in the crib again tonight, and am hoping to have a better night. As he is is now dehydrated, (not one wet diaper all day) he had to go back on the IV overnight. They will remove it in the AM, and out him back on juices/ice cream/popsicle etc in hopes that he can get down 12 oz and have some wet diapers. If he can achieve that, we can go home.
I miss my babies. I miss my husband. I'd love a shower. I'm sticky with medicine and slobber (swallowing hurts so he is drooling like a st bernard). BUT, I am very grateful to be in a wonderful world class hospital with amazing nurses and Dr's. I feel in very good hands. And I rather like sleeping in a crib. Who knew?
Send Jake all of your Drink UP thoughts for tomorrow. With a Mom and Dad who enjoyed college so much you'd think a little shirt grab and a "CHUG CHUG CHUG" should do the trick.....but it hasn't worked thusfar.
Seeing him in pain is killing me. I need a hot cup of tea and a long soak in the tub. My endless admiration for parents who do this for long term illnesses or events in their childrens lives. They are heros. This is not easy.





oh what a beautiful baby. I am so glad it went well despite the awful time you were assigned. You all must be exhausted. Take it easy. Lots of love. <3
ReplyDeleteSending you guys lots of hydration vibes. Hoping you get to break out and snooze in your own home soon. xoxo
ReplyDeleteSo sorry Melissa, This must suck so much. I am hoping Jake starting drinking and eating soon!
ReplyDelete