Saturday, January 12, 2013

Giving up on catching up.

So I haven't been writing in my blog because I keep on feeling like I need to "catch up". Truth is, I may never catch up, so I need to just let it go. Its okay.

Christmas was awesome. It was really fun with the kids this year. It was filled with pretty much all of our usual traditions, the kids really enjoyed some new ones, they enjoyed giving, they enjoyed getting, and all in all we all felt very blessed to be able to both give and receive this year. Christmas was also exhausting, for me. I thought I did a good job of "keeping it simple"......and I did, gift wise, but I said yes to too many social obligations and the three weeks surrounding Christmas were a bit of a whirlwind. Next year I need to do better. I came out of it sick, and it was entirely self inflicted. Next year? A few more "no's" are in order for mental health purposes. Other than that? A really nice Christmas.

It was a good year for the Mangans, short (very short?) on funerals and very long on laughter and new experiences. We missed Nate a lot as between the new job and school he was gone a lot, but when he was here we treasured him. Nate's decision to go to Riverbed turned out to be a fantastic one, and we are so grateful for his new position. No new babies entered the (extended) family in 2012 for the first time in a long time, and there were no major health dramas for anyone in the family except for me, who had a pretty major one from an inconvenience and pain perspective. (Way to go, me). Luke started Kindergarten, Jules pre-K, and Jake is thriving in his last year of babydom and school free bliss. He naps everyday from 1-4 and is my love bug. I'm so glad we opted to keep him home with me and I'm enjoying this last year of having a "baby" at home. Nate got through an entire year of his MBA program, and his trip abroad to Hungary and Turkey was a great experience for him. We vacationed in Cape May for a week as a family, and snuck in a weekend away in Philly a a couple. I completed a tough mudder and set a PR at Broad St before my injury. I came to appreciate my girlfriends in a new way as they quite literally fed us for 8 straight weeks as I was on crutches ~ I love, love my friends. It was a hard year for me, frankly, and while I mourn the passing of time, in a way, because my babies are getting older.....well......I don't look back on last summer and wish to relive a moment of it, given my circumstances. I can say without a doubt that last summer was bleak for me and the most difficult thing that I have ever had to live through, emotionally and physically (and I've had a few doozies). Being unable to care for my kids cut me to the quick, and while I am still in pain today, exactly 7 months out from surgery, I am fully able to do 95% of what I want to do, but most importantly, I can take care of my family.

As we look ahead to 2013 there is a lot on the horizon. Nate finishes school in late April and his graduation is in May. In early April we head to Hawaii as Nate qualified for Riverbeds rewards trip due to his sales performance. June brings our family Disney cruise and 7 days with my extended family sailing around the Caribbean with all of the kids and my parents, and then the summer is upon us! We hope to spend two weeks in Cape May this year, and then we will have a first grader, and kindy kid, and Jake in preschool three mornings a week as a pre schooler! That, at least, is what we hope for. Life has a funny way of throwing curve balls in when one least expects it......but lets hope that 2013 at least keeps us (and you!) healthy. Trips or jobs or school or whatever may come or go, but as long as we are healthy, little else matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment