Jake enjoyed his first swim, and even tolerated lots of splashing and love from his sibs.
Does this bathing suit make me look fat?
Waking with stretches and a smile, as per usual. I caught the stretch, not the smile.
My first baby, in the process of becoming a kid.
Playtime post "helping" give Jake a bath in the sink.
I love weekends. Really, really love weekends. We have taken to enjoying a family happy hour at the pool on Friday afternoons as soon as the kids wake up from their nap. Last night Nate and I went out and did the town in WC, then enjoyed a leisurely nap while watching the British Open, then headed to the pool. Jake took his first dip today, and loved the pool as much as he loves the bath. We did the whole "bathroom scale" trick where we weigh ourself, then ourself with Jake, and the scale showed him at 15 lbs at 7 weeks. I'm not entirely sold on the accuracy of our scale after suffering the abuses of two preschoolers, but from the way the kid is affecting my back, I bet that it is pretty close.
I cannot believe that we are into the latter part of July already. The next two weeks are jam packed....then two weeks at the beach, and then we are already facing back to school things as we approach having both Luke and Julia in preschool. I am loathe to admit that I am longing for cooler weather ~ as I know that I will be complaining about being stuck inside.........but somedays I feel just as trapped by the heat and humidity as I will be by the cold. What a hot summer this has been! Maybe it is always this hot but I am just especially noticing it being trapped inside of my post partum body and having a baby parasite constantly latched onto my body. Who knows.
Our cult (gym) just started offering awesome evening classes for kids. Luke now has a ton of classes to attend ~ from cooking to science to art to t-ball to soccer to kickball to basketball. He went to T-Ball for the first time last night. Jules and Jake and I watched, and Nate even got to witness Luke's first official foray into the world of non-driveway sport as he met us there straight from working in DC. I may suck as crafty Mama, but when it comes to sporty Mama, I got it down. Watching Luke "play" t-ball was a joy. I love his sweet little spirit. (here comes the braggy part..........consider yourself forewarned). Luke loves sports. He loves to play golf, and baseball, and basketball, and soccer, and you-name-it. I loved watching him from the position of outsider.......one thing that I really appreciate about Luke is the way that he likes to assess a situation. He has no fear of approaching new situations or new groups of people, he went into the group of kids after giving me a kiss and a "Bye Mama! I love you! I love baseball!" with a happy wave. He checked things out ~ and then once he got the idea, he went full throttle. Sports are really important to me as a Mother. Not necessarily them being good at sports, but enjoying them. To me ~ there is no better way to learn to work with others, to be healthy, to enjoy and know your body, and to know and learn what it is to be part of a team. He was so proud of himself when he ducked around two 6 year olds to fall on the ball (thanks to Daddy and Pop Pop and the fun "fumble drill" we play at home constantly) ~ he talked about it all night long. He hit the ball off of the tee like a champ. I got my first glimpse of how sports and my Mama Bear instinct will intersect as some little bratfaced kid (kidding! Some darling little sweetheart!) ripped the ball out of Luke's hand at one point. While my entire soul screamed to jump up and pummel said kid (I mean lovingly talk about sharing) I continued to just nurse Jake as I observed Luke. He gave the kid a look like "Dude?" and then ran along and picked up another ball. I was so proud. No crying, no fighting back, just my Luke and his easy going nature ~ "mmmmkay kid, you take my ball I'll go get another one~" with no drama or interference. My sweet Luke.
It is the weekend! A fun filled weekend with friends and yard work and cooking and golf lays ahead.......and I can't wait.
Oh.my.goodness! You guys are gorgeous. What lovely children you grow and nurture. I am soooo not crafty mama and would love if our gym offered classes like that. I figure K's getting projects several times a week at preschool and excuse my slacking off a little. Yeaaaah.
ReplyDeleteLove hearing you talk about sports and love that it's something all 5 of you can share as a family, through participation and as spectators. We love being active together as well and it's so satisfying to see that reflected in the joy our children find with something as simple as a family walk.
And fall? I just said I was looking forward to it the other day as well. And that's not something I usually ever say, since although I love fall, it to quickly turns into winter here. I was blaming not only the insanely hot/humid weather, but the fact that ALL the back-to-school stuff is on the shelves already. Time is flying.