Sunday, August 24, 2008

Vacation is hard work.









I need a vacation from vacation. We just got home from a wonderful time at the beach. I never knew how mentally and physically exhausting vacation could be. While our time at the beach was filled with fantastic memories and long days spent on the beach, it was also probably the worst nights of sleep I have had since entering into this whole motherhood gig. The family M was all sleeping in one bedroom and man is that tough with two kids so young. Julia is not a fan of her pack and play, and would wake up sometime between 11.30 and 1.30 every night. As soon as I heard her first squeak I leapt out of bed to snatch her up so that she didn't wake up Luke. We then spent the remainder of the night snuggling together on the giant couch. Luke, who always sleeps till 7, was up at 6 every day. I'm building up a giant stash of milk for our vacation in October, so I was up pumping every morning at 5.30 so that I could have that done with before Luke woke up. Early mornings get old fast. I now fully understand why God, in his infinite wisdom, saw fit to bestow fabulous sleepers upon me. I just don't like not getting sleep, and have no idea how other Moms endure weeks or even months of that with their babies.

Motherhood is incredibly physically demanding. The days when Nate was away I was pushing the jogging stroller through the sand with 17 or 18 lb Jules in the sling, my giant backpack on my back, and umbrellas, towels, sand toys etc....crammed into or under or on top of every square inch of the stroller. Who needs the gym when you have kids? I now look back on the family vacations of my childhood with a whole new level of gratitude towards my parents. They were lugging three of us around! Having fun and creating memories for your children is a lot of work.

Bullet points:

*We went to Wonderland pier in Ocean City one night. It was a fabulous night that I hope I never forget. We had Mack n Mancos pizza, Johnson's caramel corn, went on the rides (Luke and Jules first spin on the merry go round!)and Luke attracted a crowd of onlookers as he ate his very first vanilla custard with rainbow jimmies. I have never seen him enjoy anything like he did that ice cream cone. The mess was totally worth it.
*We had a fantastic Billings-DiLullo reunion. I love my sister cousins and only wish that you all lived on the East Coast again! Max and Luke had fun while Julia and Reese rolled around on a blanket.
*We went and spent a fun night on the dock looking at the boats as we awaited Pete's arrival. He was fishing in the Mid Atlantic $500,000 and caught three White Marlin that day. Luke loves boats, and he loves birds, two things that there are no shortage of in a marina.
*Luke dug more holes and smashed more castles than I thought possible. He learned to chase seagulls. He saw a live conch. He caught little crabs with his Pop Pop. He swam in the ocean every day.
*Julia got to hang out with two babies born the same week as her. Alexandria was born one day before her, and Reese 4 days after. Lots of gummy grins all around.
*We took long walks up on the boardwalk every morning.
*The kids got spoiled with attention from my parents and Becca and Pete. Every morning Luke popped his little head up in his crib saying "Pop Pop? Mom Mom? Bec-Eck? Da Da? Ma Ma?". Now that we are home and Nate is away I feel horribly boring and woefully incapable of providing the fun that Luke got accustomed to at the beach. Its just me this week, kid.
*Julia loves the beach. She was wonderful and relaxed and easy anytime she was there. She simply nursed, and napped, and rolled around, and stared at the ocean or the umbrella for hours on end. Her being so easy and happy and self entertained made my days a lot more fun.
*Luke loooooooved the construction site next door. Years from now as he is enjoying the new home that my parents are building I will be able to tell him that he ran through the walls as a baby.

I miss the beach already. I loved seeing my children enjoy one of my favorite places on earth. Big thanks to my parents and sister and brother, who all endured the noise and chaos (and joy!) that two wonderful little babies bring where ever they go.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds (and looks) like a great vacation. Love your little Irish bebes.

    So happy to see Luke eating ice cream. I know that he and ice cream have caused you no end of worry before, so it's great to know it agrees with him now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you give credit to all of those around you. They do truly deserve it but so do you for being such a good non-spaz (??) mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think anyone with small kids deserves a vacation just for taking there kids on vacation!! go mama!
    jen
    ps in our home we now refer to all "vacations" as "trips". reading ont he beach is my favorite pleasure..i can't imagine when that will get to happen again!

    ReplyDelete