I am utterly infatuated with the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma". A friend raved about it recently, and I had to go and get it. During the first chapter I realized that I had already read one of the authors books, "The Botany of Desire". Although my reading time is severely limited these days, I have almost finished. I wont bore anyone with my personal philosophy about food (which this book is challenging and changing as I go) but I will say that I heartily recommend that every one read this book. Seriously, get it.
Moving on. Yesterday Buddy (owner of the farm in our backyard) let me know that the corn that we had been watching grow all year is ready to eat. As Jeannie was coming over for dinner last night it seemed like the perfect opportunity to sample the wares.
Earlier yesterday as we were playing outside I told Luke that we were going to pick some ears of corn. Hence the ear grab in the photo. Smart kid. (And speaking of "Kid" I cant believe how much my oldest baby looks like a KID in that picture.)
After I had gotten the kids in pajamas we went outside for one last hurrah of play and a corn picking mission. I read a little bit while the kids played. At corn picking time, Luke helped me pluck 4 ears, and I commenced to husk them while he looked on. Finished husking, I looked down at Jules, who had excitedly made her way over to my book and was eating it. Ah! I got the book away from her and cleaned up her face, to look back at Luke, who was noshing away on the raw corn. I got that away from Luke and was throwing the bag of corn husks away, when I looked back at the blanket to find that Julia had apparently ninja rolled several times until she was off of the blanket and happily eating some grass. My little ruminate.
My views on food are being challenged. My kids ~ No such dilemma. Grass, corn, paper, its all simple and straightforward and apparently delicious to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment