Monday, June 2, 2008

A Boy. And a Girl






My son has seems particularly boyish of late. If he can't climb or push it over, he does not seem to know what to do with it. Like his new "muscles" pose? Try not to be intimidated.

Ms. J got all dressed up yesterday to go to Courtney's bridal shower. The hat simply made the outfit.

I cant wait to see what they turn out like, these kids of mine. Being such a tomboy myself all of this girly stuff is fun, if foreign, to me.

Ive already caught myself being acutely aware of how I speak to my daughter. For every time I say "You are so pretty sweetie" I hasten to throw in "And you are SMART and STRONG too!". And then I laugh at myself, because, after all, she is 10 weeks old so its not like the subtleties of gender roles and societal pressures are really getting through to her yet :). The whole gender thing is so strange. Encouraging Luke's masculinity seems so normal and natural, but somehow with Jules I feel the need to counterbalance the message so often found in society that "Pretty" is all a girl need strive after.

I'm rushing, I'm rambling, I'm tired. I have a million things to do, so none of this is coming out the way I mean for it to. I will get back to this post down the road, when I can better explain what I mean. Any Mama's out there know what I am talking about? Do you mind your words more carefully or encourage your sons differently than you do your daughters? Please let me know I'm not alone in feeling some responsibility in not making everything about "pretty".

2 comments:

  1. i do EXACTLY the same thing with julia. if i say anything referring to beauty i alwasy add in "smart", "strong", "adventurous"/
    and i have just started adding phrases like "wise" and "sweet" to my compliments for will!!!!
    oh, parenting is so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, i just saw all the typos in my above comment; as well as calling single adjectives "phrases"
    ah well
    my kids tire me out

    ReplyDelete