Monday, June 9, 2008

Big Brown?




Like my little jockey?

I may have been the only person in the world who was rooting against Big Brown on Saturday.....the whole UPS thing/premature marketing and the media hype drives me crazy. Every year we hear "this could be the first REAL contender for the crown in decades!!"....but if they say that every year, is that really so? Call me a cynic, but sheesh! Anyway. No crown this year.

I had a wonderful birthday weekend. My thoughtful wonderful husband and family and friends treated me to such a great time. Thank you all! Jeannie and Tim were wonderfully gracious to watch the littles for us on Friday night so that we could go see Tom Petty (we were in a babysitting bind, and when Jeannie offered it actually brought tears to my eyes......). J ~ I can't wait to return the favor one day soon :). The concert was awesome ~ for an older guy, he still brings it. Saturday I had a much needed massage at ACAC as a surprise from Nate, and then we spent the day at a Belmont party over at Tracy and Shawns. Luke got a lot of baby pool action in, which was good as the east coast was smothered in a heat wave. Sunday my family brought lunch and cake over, and then my Mom and Dad watched the kids while Nate and I golfed. In a tightly contested match, I won the front, he the back, and me the Match. There was NO ONE out there and we got 18 in in 3.5 hours. I appreciate golf in a whole new way these days. This was (on June 8th) my first whole round this year. Looking at years past, I would have 20 or so posted rounds by this point. How kids change things! Its well worth it as the joy I get from the kids eclipses any that golf can bring....but when I DO get out for a round I appreciate it so much more. The beauty of the course, of the game, all hit me so hard yesterday. It was wonderful.

Nate gave me the best gift (barring my kids, that is) that he has ever given me. Months ago he asked a local artist who we are friends with to paint a picture of our old house on Biddle St. Laura paints a lot of pics of the borough, and after going to one of her art shows last year shortly after Luke's birth I was smitten with her work. He supplied pics of how the porch used to look when we lived there, and Laura painted and framed the most lovely perfect glowy beautiful painting I could imagine. Its our sunny little porch, with the three big blue pots and yellow flowers, the sweet blue door, wicker chairs, gracious tree out front and the hydrangea that I so loved all captured. The moment that I opened it I burst into tears. That house holds such a special place in my heart. Its the first home I ever bought. Its the place where Nate and I lived when we got married. Its the house we brought Luke home from the hospital to, and the house the we moved out of when I was 6 or 7 months pregnant with Julia. To have this beautiful representation of that home on my wall in this house brings me so much joy! More of Laura's fabulous art can be seen in the movie Marley & Me when it comes out.

Luke also woke up this morning and while I was changing him he said Pop Pop........Methinks all that time spent with Grandpop and Mom Mom yesterday afternoon included some intensive name teaching time???? It paid off!

1 comment: