Everyone always talks about pregnancy in terms of trimesters, but lately I have been thinking that its really more like a basketball game, with 4 quarters. Your first 10 weeks have the initial excitement of the tip off, and then not much happens (From the fan's perspective, anyway). The huge point swings mirror the Mom to be's huge emotional swings, but don't really matter much, things tend to even out over time. The second quarter (weeks 10-20)things start to heat up a little, and just like that last important momentum shift before halftime, you generally have the excitement of your 20 week ultrasound to keep you horribly anxious and excited. Then comes the third quarter, weeks 20-30, the action is heating up, baby is moving all over, and you start to feel (and look!) big. People tune in more.
Then. The 4th quarter. I am in week 31 now, and things are starting to move fast. This baby is coming really soon. The action starts to really matter. You move to biweekly, then weekly appointments, much like the frequent time outs. No one is changing the channel anymore. This lasts until about 37/8 weeks or so, then it becomes EXACTLY like the last two minutes of a basketball game. Waking up each day thinking "gosh, today could be the day"....getting calls from the anxious "fans" as to whether or not anything is happening, enjoying those last few moments when your baby is truly still all "yours" tucked away in there in your belly, but really really feeling ready to meet them on the other side. Like the last 2 min of the game, with all of its fouls and timeouts and TV breaks, those last two weeks can seemingly last forever.
I have to say, I have noticed that the average person really WANTS pregnant women to complain. I cant even believe how socially accepted, even ENCOURAGED it is for a pregnant woman to moan her way through her pregnancy. Yes, your hips hurt. Yes, you have heartburn, and the baby moves a lot, and those little hiccups that used to be so endearing are suddenly not so when its 3 am and your belly is hiccuping with all the weight of a several pound baby. And YES! you are huge and your self confidence is shaky as you look in the mirror and think "who is that beast?" ~ But you know what? Theres a PERSON in there! Of COURSE its a little uncomfortable! You are experiencing literally the greatest miracle of life, in my opinion.
Consider this my vent about the fact that I feel great, and even when I tell people that, its almost like they don't want to hear it. "just you wait".....is something I hear a lot. Well, I have been there, and done that, and I know whats coming. And you know what, I still feel great. And to anyone else out there who is able to enjoy your pregnancy ~ MORE POWER TO YOU MAMA!
Playgroup today ~ cant wait :)
No comments:
Post a Comment