Monday, July 23, 2012

Oh no! Afternoon SCHOOL?




So last Thursday I got the letter I had been waiting for. The "official" letter from Luke's kindergarten which was supposed to say "AM Kindergarten" was supposed to arrive any day and I was eagerly awaiting its arrival and all of the fun details that I supposed that it would contain. Around here Kindergarten times are determined solely by bus routes. As our neighbor 2 houses down had just finished kindy this past year and had been AM, I felt confident that we, being the same bus route, would also be AM. You know what they say about assuming.

The letter showed up, and my jaw literally dropped as it said "PM". I panicked a little. My kids ALL still nap. Every day. For a couple of hours.

Now, I know they can lose the nap, I really do. I mean, they are 5.5 and 4.5. I know they can handle it. But this messes up everything for ME! My whole plan of achieving things like food shopping or household jobs in the morning is now out the window. I had a moment of clarity in which I realized I could switch Jules to PM pre-k, and within minuets I was on the phone with her preschool director. That was done in a hurry as there is a huge waiting list for morning pre K. This means that the kids and I will either go to the gym or do some sort of activity together in the mornings m-f. Lunch at home, then off to the bus and I will drive Jules to school. Home for naps and I will probably nap or cook, then off to pick up then meet Luke's bus (which thankfully is right out front). My Mom volunteered to babysit so I could get things done on Wednesdays, and I will hire Erika one afternoon a week during the year when Brooke goes back to teaching. Jules will have school 4 days a week, and will be home with me on Thursdays, giving us some fun 1:1 time while Jake naps.

It's a very very different fall than I envisioned. Now that I have had a few days to come to terms with it, I'm very at peace with it. To be honest, it may be nice. As they were surely going to drop their nap at some point, it might make for more peaceful afternoons for me, and less time trying to keep them quiet and/or from distracting Nate as he works. It is going to force me to rest more as my afternoons I will be tied to the house now, and as I am still coming off of this injury that may be a real blessing. I don't know.......I just know that everything happens for a reason and surely there is a silver lining in there somewhere :).

2 comments:

  1. Afternoon school may not be so bad. I hope this transition is an easy one for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for the silver lining in some of the shuffle I have to do this fall as well. I know it will become routine soon enough...the anticipation is never fun though!

    ReplyDelete