I admit to hoping for a wonderfully content, play with ones toes, lay around smiling forever sort of third. Jake is not that. Jake seems to have some sort of biological imperative to move. And to move now. The velcro isn't working.
In other news, I am a weekend widow again this weekend. Nate (who I am so proud of) is at Nova again all day today and tomorrow at school. It's hard! Not hard so much with the kids, as I am well used to having them all day, but somehow the weekend feels more lonely. I miss our silly routines like breakfast sandwiches and the gym and family time. I miss my husband. We had a wonderful day, we met my friend Erin and her sweet boys for a great walk at Valley Forge on a beautiful, sunny, cold fall day. By the time we got home, it was lunch, then naps (for all four of us). I woke the kids early so that I could go for a run with Bec ~ she took the double jogger and me the single and we got through 5+ miles with all of the kids being happy as they ate their snacks and provided color commentary on the endeavor, as par the course.
Nate is considering going to get his executive MBA this coming August. I am so proud of him for wanting to do it. I also am a little bit scared. It will mean every other weekend of school (Fri Sat and Sunday) for 21 straight months. I am a SAHM in a world of SAHM's. Weekends are when we go out as couples, do house projects, live family life to the max. It is hard to envision giving that up for two years, though I know that it may well be a great thing for our family. Nate is so awesome about giving me my nights out ~ my book club, my girls nights.......but weekends just feel different. I don't know. I have mixed feelings of pride and excitement for my husband, and worry about lonely weekends.
sweet jake has to keep up with luke and jules!
ReplyDeletehang in there. i am really proud of you for supporting nate.
love you
jen
ps becca is awesome 5 miles pushing 2? i don'tthink i could do it...ha! or even one in a stroller. you both rock!
Charlie is content being a lump wathing things go on around him. I think I should be content with that too, but somehow I'm not??
ReplyDeleteWhat a big decision for you and Nate. There would be sacrifices for everyone but I'm sure the benefits of him having a MBA would be great. Are you still thinking about going back to school also?
Oh and I should hit Nate up for some new Villanova gear for the kiddos! The selection online is not as good as the school store:(
so impressed with the running - brian's run will be a BREEZE for you!
ReplyDeleteI definitely understand your weekends thing w nate..., I treasure our few times as a family
and btw - jake needs to give his bff henry some lessons! H thinks he will just roll his way through life!
ReplyDeleteMelis is the best, great job this past weekend with the kids. Hopefully once i get my MBA we will have more kids and get a live in NANNY from Russia. :) love you
ReplyDeleteHahaha~still laughing at Nate's awesome comment. Melis, when you told me you were going for a run, you failed to mention you were pushing kids! You are awesome. I am sure the school will work itself out and you will find a new routine for those weekends. I always think that being a "tax season widow" (six days a week, dawn till dark, January thru May) will be the worst thing in the world and every year we get through it. Plus, a live-in nanny would be a pretty sweet deal. ;)
ReplyDeleteKarly, thank you for commenting ~ because I had not seen Nate's comment. Nate, will said Russian Nanny be birthing my baby as well? Because I have forsworn any more labor experiences after Jake's, thankyouverymuch! :)
ReplyDeleteKarly, this past Thursday I ran without the single or double stroller for the first time in almost 4 years (all three kids were sleeping) ~ I felt like I was flying!
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm scared, but optimistic. And enjoy these few months before tax season starts!
Woooo...you are a whirlwind. I only run if I'm being chased, or if I have to chase a pickup truck with someone sitting in the bed of the truck dangling some sort of sumptuous food or drink item in front of me.
ReplyDeleteWait, the calories don't exist if you eat them WHILE you run, right?
No running, but I'll tear up any other cardio you put in front of me. You are doing a great job, I have never seen anyone juggle three small children, wife-dom, and having a social life as well as you do.