The kids got right out of the car to their teachers, give me a wave and a blown kiss, and trotted into school. And then I cried. It was exactly a year ago that Luke had his first day of school. I dropped him off and went to the grocery store with Julia. I ran into a very casual acquaintance there and she asked me how I was......and I burst into tears as I said that I had just dropped my eldest off at preschool. The very next day I found out that I was pregnant with Jake, so I have always blamed my crying outburst a la grocery store on pregnancy. This year, I have no such excuse ~ It is just an emotional thing! Seeing my little people standing there in line so cute and tiny and innocent just wrenches my heart. It is equal parts pride and fear ~ the world is just such a big place and those sweet kids such little things! I just do my best to pray and trust that the world is kind to my little people, that their teachers are loving, that they continue to help Nate and I shape Luke and Jules into their best versions of themselves.
At pick up their teachers raved about how easy they were as they loaded them into my car. To celebrate, we headed straight to the playground, and from there met Nate for a celebratory back to school lunch. They napped long and hard after their big day. I feel so proud. Way to go, biggie and medium! I hope that this school year brings lots of fun and growth for all of us.
woohoo! Congrats! Soon going to school will be just another routine for them both, as crazy as that seems.
ReplyDeleteFirst, I love Jake's onsie! Go 'Nova!
ReplyDeleteSecond, car line seems like heaven!