Thursday, September 2, 2010

Back to school night.

I did the requisite put-on-a-clean-outfit-wash-my-face-carry-a-purse-act-together-comingle-with-other-clean-faced-parents charade tonight. Why? Because it is BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT.

Two thirds of my children will be in preschool as of next Wednesday.

Unlike the rest of the main line/philly burbs, I'm taking things slowly. Luke is only going two mornings a week, as is Jules (Tuesdays and Thursdays). They are going to the same school. It is at a church. It is cute. They do crafts and learn difficult and important social concepts like standing in line and singing songs with hand motions. Very different from the Goddard school where they bragged shamelessly about their yoga program and their chinese and their computer classes.......for 2 year olds. Gag. Co-op was awesome in theory, not workable in reality with three kids in three years and kids only a year apart (Luke would have had to go M-W-F and Jules T-Th.......no thanks). In addition, we are not doing art/science/gymboree/little gym/interpretive dance/tumble time/chinese sign language/algebra/genius generator classes this fall. We are just being kids. I am totally amazed at the pressure to schedule every blessed moment of your children's life (to ensure that they are more advanced than other children, of course) starting at age 3. Yowzers. It just isn't for us. Do I sound defensive? I'm not defensive. I'm happy.

5 comments:

  1. You don't sound defensive. You sound like you're doing your kids a favour. I'm sure they're going to love school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers to the concept of kids being kids! (And parents spending more time with playing kids than shuttling them off to activities). Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best Mom EVER!!! Loved this post, laughed my head off! Great seeing you the other night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love our church preschool! It's easygoing, but educational, cheap(!) and fun! I think you will be happy with your decision (even though I know nothing about your school)! Too many exclamation points--can you sense my joy? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOOO refreshing to hear this perspective! Please remind me of this in 2 yrs as I get pressured to join the baby-rat-race

    ReplyDelete