Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor day brings new friends.

My dirty faced girl playing dress up with Aunt Marty
Luke checked out the fire truck
Abbey and Bobo are greeted with (too much) enthusiasm.
Jake loved swinging. Loved it so much he fell sound asleep.
Uncle Rich doubles as human jungle gym on the back deck as the girls cook.

It was a great Labor Day weekend. Friday we had some friends come to the pool with us, and the kids swam all morning. We spent the beautiful late afternoon walking around the borough as a family, had some dinner at Iron Hill, and walked for frozen yogurt. Saturday we were up and out early to drive up to Stroudsburg. We were thrilled to spend a beautiful Saturday taking in Stroud Fest, and visiting with Aunt Marti, who was in from California. The kids loved spending the day with Grandma and Grandpa, we got to catch up with some friends, and Grandma fed us a delicious dinner before we headed back home. It was so wonderful to see Aunt Marti and to introduce her to Jake. Julia and Luke talked about Aunt Marti the entire next day. We got in late that night, and were off to spend a picture perfect early September day on the golf course (Glen Mills) as Brooke took care of the kids. Bec and Rich came over to grill out that night, and we cooked up an impromptu feast. Monday we had a breakfast picnic at East Goshen park, and then Mom Mom and Pop Pop met us there......with friends. They had brought home hermit crabs from the beach. After reading the hermit crab book by Eric Carle, they busted out the crabs. Pandemonium. To say that Luke and Jules were excited would be an understatement. As predicted, when asked what they would like to name the crabs, Luke went with his standby, and Jules hers. And now Abbey (Luke's crab) and Bobo (Julia's crab) have joined clan Mangan. I fear for their life. They both fascinate me and repel me, and I find myself strangely obsessed with them when I see them climbing around their cage. I hope they live long lives, and admit that I have fears about their ability to survive the "love" of a 2 and 3 year old and a relatively harried Mama.

We had decided to have a special family dinner on Monday night to bid adieu to summer. We had picked up steaks and some king crab legs. When Jules woke up from her nap she asked me what was for dinner. I told her that we were having meat and crabs. Without skipping a beat my girl looked up at me and said "Okay Mama. But I want to eat Abbey".

I about died laughing. I love my adventurous eater Julia ~ instantly game for eating hermit crabs if I deemed them dinner worthy...........but sagely choosing to eat Luke's pet, rather than her own.

2 comments:

  1. That is simply hilarious. Happy fall - football season, leaves, pumpkins, and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet farewell to summer and a big welcome to autumn! Your kids are fantastic as ever. I always think I should send mine to you for them to become more adventurous eaters. (They eat healthy, but not always as varied as I would like). The last paragraph had me reconsidering, but only a tiny bit! :)

    ReplyDelete