Thursday, December 18, 2008

Feeling Festive




I can't believe that my second crazy little critter will be 9 months old tomorrow. This is her at our playgroup holiday extravaganza on Wednesday. It shocks me that it was already 9 months ago tonight that I went to bed ~ disheartened from my OB appointment that day ~ and woke up thrilled to find myself in labor. 9 months ago tomorrow, our daughter was born.


We are in full Christmas swing around here. The tree is (amazingly) still standing, the stockings are hung, the Christmas outfits are bought, and Nate and I went Christmas shopping last night.


I am not a normal woman. I don't like shopping. I really don't. Everything about it annoys me ~ the traffic, getting a babysitter, the piped in Christmas music, the faux cheer, the frazzled sales people, the lines, etc etc. The whole "get Julia a Christmas dress" experience was annoying and stressful. First of all, they make them all short sleeved. Fantastic, if you live in Florida. In PA, not so much. I could make a killing creating a children's holiday dress wear line which actually had seasonally appropriate clothing available. Beyond the clothes....I don't like toys. My kids don't really have that many toys. They are probably officially deprived in the toy department. When Julia will spend 45 minutes playing with a whisk......why on earth buy a toy? I just am not one of those Mom's who gets into toys or gets all excited to buy them. More power to you if you do ~ in no way am I criticizing you, in fact, I am a little jealous of you. I wish that I could get more into it. The garish plastic and lights and bells and whistles and sound effects and stupid battery cases that only can be opened with the teeny tiny stupid little screwdrivers that NEVER can be found. Anyway.


Kids. If you read this someday:


I hope that you never suspected these things about when you were a child. I hope that you never knew that I resented having to get all into Santa, I hope that you never knew that I really disliked toys, and shopping, and I hope that you never knew that I actually wrapped up a whisk for Julia this Christmas. I hope that you didn't know that I considered burning our Christmas tree out of indignation at its refusal to stand up straight and not fall over. I hope that you didn't know that you don't have stockings this year because I have been pregnant with one or the other of you the past two years so didn't get you one ~ and this year I am too cheap to get the stupidly expensive ones that I really want until they go on sale after Christmas. I hope that the fact that I am an utterly terrible singer didn't turn you off to Christmas carols for your whole life. I hope that by the time Christmas starts being magical to you, I am better at the whole thing. I want it to be magical for you. Until then, I feel silly making something that you are totally unaware of magical. I'm either a giant scrooge, or a tremendously practical Mama.







7 comments:

  1. Dude, you wrapped up a whisk?! That is awesome.

    If you're a giant Scrooge, then so am I. And I hates to go shopping, unless it's food shopping or shopping for anything that can be used in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, if you are Scrooge I shutter to think of what I am!!! Christmas is so commercial and the spirit is lost...given that uplifting statement, I instead of buying gifts for family donated to Toys for Tots, the local Animal Shelter, and the Philadelphia Food Bank. All of the above was way easier than shopping....we are on the same page on that one. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Melissa. I am so glad to not be alone in this. I haven't wrapped up a whisk yet, but I feel better knowing that I am not a bad person for thinking it's a great idea. Or if I am a bad person, at least I am in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of us needs to influence the other b/c i am completely opposite!! in her bedtime prayers tonight j said "Thank you for mommy, daddy ....and please help santa find his way"
    i nearly had tears in my eyes!!
    anon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soleil has a short-sleeved dress! The dress buying was the most stressful event this month. I'm struggling with the Santa issue as well. I put "from Mommy or Oliver" on the tag. I imagine my daughter will be the one to disappoint a many kids as she dispels the great Santa Myth LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melis... I too am a toy hater. Gabe loves the electric mixer atm... so I let him carry it around the house trying to put the beaters in it. That will be Julia next year... graduating from whisks to electric hand mixers! I actually felt bad that I hadn't boughted Gabe any real toys this Christmas, so I got him a car for his stocking. Anyway... just wanted to say I love reading your blog... it makes me laugh and pause and think about the things I often don't take time to think about. Merry Christmas friend!!! AirForceWife1

    ReplyDelete
  7. reading this again now b/c of your link...., and Jules and Jake are the same in these photos -- love your adorable little ones.

    ReplyDelete