Monday, December 22, 2008

Holidays and Haircuts





Continuing on the hair theme from my last post, Luke got his first official haircut today. I had trimmed it a couple of times, but as the back was so much longer than the front it was starting to get rather page -boyish (ugh), so I had to get that taken care of. Luke was hilarious, no yelling, no fear, no worries as he hopped up into the chair and took his haircut like a little man. He was so serious as he watched the hairdresser cutting away in the mirror. I was surprised at how unsentimental I was about the whole thing ~ perhaps as he really still does not have all that much hair even at 22 months it's not like it was radically altering his look.
Last night was our used-to-be whole-family-7-fish-dinner-turned-pizza-night. It was wonderful to get to spend an evening with my extended family....And I loved seeing Luke and Julia interact with Ben and to get to meet sweet little Tyler. Pete and Lex are now two days overdue and we are all waiting anxiously to celebrate the birth of their first baby, and my kids first first cousin on my side of the family. Tomorrow night is our new, smaller 7 fish dinner. I am feeling a little overwhelmed all of a sudden. We really kept the whole gift thing simple this year ~ It's just the sudden realization of several meals/desserts that I have to make coupled with a few last minute crafty type gift things that I am working on.....and kids who BOTH woke up sick with colds this morning. Even trying hard to keep things simple, things just seem to never truly be simple with a bagillion holiday parties/obligations/celebrations/commitments/and two very young children.
I need to work hard tomorrow to get myself together so that I can actually enjoy Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with a minimum of stress. I feel as though this Christmas really crept up on me too quickly.
Did I mention that our dog has mange? Literally, our dog has mange. Our mangy mutt. He had been itching with ever increasing intensity over the past couple of weeks. We took him to the vet, assuming that it was food allergies, and the first question that she asked was "Do you live in an area with a lot of foxes?". Yup. And dogs can get mange from a fox from merely running through the same bushes as foxes do (we learned) . Fun times. Luckily with some steroids, antibiotics and the like he is already about a million times better, and none the worse for the episode. Now armed with a skunk attack and a bout of mange under our belts.....what's next for Mulligan? A deer trampling? Snake bite? Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. So how do you have a smaller 7-fish dinner? Smaller fish?

    Luke looks just as cute as he did before, but it's a relief that he isn't headed into hockey hair territory.

    ReplyDelete