In other poop news, Luke now uses a potty every day. Maybe once, maybe twice, or even 4 times like a couple of days ago. I don't know what to think. I am proud of him, but feel a little (lot) blindsided by this. I'm not ready to even think about potty training Luke. At this point I'm just following his cues and not pushing anything (I have nightmares of hearing "Mom I have to go to the bathroom" for the next gazillion years whenever we are on long car rides or in stores or really just anywhere in general......I don't feel at all ready to go there yet.) Changing diapers may get old at times, but it doesn't even compare to dealing with "accidents" and disgusting public restrooms, and all that comes with the potty trained young child. Not. Ready. Am I a terrible Mother for not so secretly hoping that this is just some weird phase and he forgets all about his current desire to sit on and pee in a potty?
While on the "am I a terrible Mother" kick, I have another confession to make. I'm not excited about Halloween. I'm really just not. I have a little of the "want to be the perfect mother and hand make the perfect costume" bit in me. I'm not proud of it, I wish I didn't have it, in fact, but its there. Last year, with the ease of just one child, I actually did make Luke's costume. This year, it just ain't happening. So I trotted off to the costume store and picked one. Blah. Its just not as much fun. The whole idea of taking the kids out trick or treating isn't even exciting to me. Jules goes to bed at 6.45 ~ all I can think about is "Why am I planning on trotting my infant around in a costume past her bedtime, she has no idea what is going on, what is this all about???".
In other news, Julia has settled into her schedule. She sleeps from 9-11.30 or 12 every day, than again from 2-4. She goes to bed by 6.45 or 7. She sleeps straight through the night. BUT ~ she wakes up at 5.30. 5.30 is a cruel time of day. She is happy as a lark, and wants to chit chat, and nurse, and play grabby face with me, and crawl around and get into everything.......but the child is UP. Which means that the Mama is UP. And you know what, I hate it. I hate 5.30 in the morning. Its still dark for several HOURS. And with the Phillies in the world series and the late nights that watching that is demanding, I am toasted at the moment. Just bone tired.
Should the Phils win, my children are going to the parade with us.
Please win, Phils.
I will be the first to admit it - I am not ready to deal with potty training a child and all that comes with it. I hate that, but it's true.
ReplyDeleteYou're not a terrible mother. You are just a real mother. Will did the same thing at Luke's age with the Potty. We got so excited, being our first (and only at the time), but then the potty got old, real fast -- and retired down into the basement for 2 more years. When he's ready, he'll do it. I have a few tips, when the time is right (especially for dealing with GROSS public restrooms and car trips!!)
ReplyDeleteAnd for the Halloween ordeal. Don't stress -- they're so young -- hate to say it but they probably won't even remember. I had this EXACT conversation with Drew today. I said "I hope Will remembers these Halloween costumes when he gets older" -- after we spent 5 hours in the garage today constructing a tow truck costume for Will. Drew said so nonchalantly "most likely he won't -- that's what cameras are for." Thanks, I'm covered in paint, spent the day up to my neck in corrugated cardboard and he won't remember this???? I'll be sure to send you pictures. If he won't remember it, I sure hope our friends and family do!!!