We are in! Moving in turned out to be way easier than moving out, thanks mostly to the family and friends who helped with Luke so that Nate and I could unpack! Big thanks to both sets of Grandparents, Kevin and my Sibs, and my friends. All of our boxes are unpacked and we are all set up. There will be lots of furniture shopping and decorating down the road, but for now its time to hunker down, relax, and start getting mentally prepared for little Deuce's arrival in just a few short months. The house is awesome. I cant believe how homey and comfortable it feels already. We put up our tree on Monday night and Nate left Tues for LA....he gets in in the morning and I cant wait ~ Luke and I are missing him.
I had my first "I'm 27 weeks pregnant and have a little baby and Christmas shopping is HARD" breakdown at KOP yesterday. I (idiotically) thought that I could let Luke nap in his stroller while I shopped. Yeah.....not so much. Between the throngs of bit**y fur clad women, frantic men who all looked as though they were in desperate need of a drink, and the horrible, too loud piped in "rockin Christmas" music it was a nightmare. Luke was miserable. I was miserable. Shops were all so crammed with merchandise that it was a huge chore to simply navigate the stroller around. I cursed (more than once) as the stroller got snagged on racks. I kept looking down at my sweet, easygoing baby who was crying in his stroller with the knowledge that I DID THIS TO HIM by dragging him out at the wrong time of day. I was sweating, and lugging the stroller up and down escalators (walk around the entire mega-lo-mall to find an elevator??? Just not my style) and meanwhile the mantra "this is NOT what Christmas is about" kept swirling around my head over and over. I finally called Nate in tears. Poor Nate. He was in LA. I think that I just needed someone to feel sorry for me for just a moment. He told me to go home, relax, and that he would watch Luke for me on Friday afternoon so that I could go finish up sans baby. I pretty much RAN out of the mall, and smothered Luke in apologetic (and teary) kisses as I loaded him in the car seat. We came home, and cooked up some dinner as Jeannie was coming over to eat with us. Christmas music and candles did the trick until about 6 PM....I was feeding Luke when suddenly all hell broke loose outside with firetrucks and police cars swarming the street and front yard.....our neighbors home was on fire. Men with ladders and axes were running down the street, fire hoses wound through my front yard (well....what will someday be yard, right now its straw covered dirt/seed :)).......I could hear breaking glass as they broke the windows. It was about 3 houses down and across the street. The house has a lot of trees around it, so I don't know the extent of the damage or what exactly happened. How terrible to have a fire this time of year. It freaked me out and I will admit that I was scared going to bed....all alone in this big house I just felt vulnerable and wanted to gather up Luke and have a snuggley sleepover in my bed with him. However, I resisted the urge....went to sleep and lived through the night. Seeing that fire and my breakdown at the mall helped me regain some perspective......
Christmas is about family, and gratitude, and joy. NOT about gifts, or frantically "doing" everything, or obligations. I know all of that in my heart, but sometimes lose sight of it in my zeal to get everything done just "so".
No comments:
Post a Comment