Ready to head to the pool!
Isn't he just edible?
Playing with the new baby animals at Farm Animal Frolic at Quiet Valley
I love this picture!
Julia is the best big sister! These two adore one another, I couldn't be prouder.
Hiking in the poconos.
Throwing stones.
Jake opens his presents from Aunt Jeannie :)
Blowing out his candles ~ our baby is three!
Willing helpers :)
The party!
Girlfriends :)
Whilrlwind! It has been a crazy two weeks.
Two weeks ago I got a text from Lynne, my old mentor and colleague from my working days. She asked me if I was ready to go back to work. I giggled. I admit that I had pretty much planned on my retirement being a permanent thing. I am very comfortable being a stay at home Mom, and I enjoy my life tremendously. However, the timing was strange, with us having JUST finished our basement and having found out two days prior that Julia got into the full day private school at Kesher. This meant that Jules and Luke will be in full day school, and Jake in school three mornings a week and napping all afternoon. I listened. She went on to describe a pretty amazing work from home opportunity. I kept listening.
With shaking fingers I actually created a resume. I collected some letters of recommendation from an old boss and former resellers who I had kept in touch with despite my retirement. I put together a 30/60/90 day sales plan. I bought a suit. I submitted it all, feeling as though there was no way they would consider me for this fairly senior position. Much to my surprise, I got a call from GE, asking for a phone interview. The phone interview went well, and they set up a 4 hour interview for me in CT. I was very grateful that Tony and Carolyn could come and watch the kids, as Nate was out of town when I had to go out of town. The interviews went very well last Thursday, and Friday afternoon I got a call asking for a phone interview tomorrow morning. I know that I am or was up against 4 internal candidates from GE. I have been looking into Au Pair's.
I don't really know what I'm thinking, other than to know that when the universe comes knocking with an amazing opportunity, one which would make a big difference in our families lifestyle, it would be foolish not to investigate it. I feel flattered that after almost 7 years out of the workforce, Lynne thought of me for this role. I feel lucky that GE was interested enough to interview me, and that somehow I found the right words to say in my interviews.
I don't know what will happen from here, but I know that I owe it to my kids (and to myself!) to at least show up. I think that life is about showing up, at the end of it all. I am proud of myself for being open to trying, for being open to envisioning a very different few years ahead than I had planned. I don't know what will come of this, but I can tell you I have been asking ~ HARD ~ that whatever I am supposed to do here is made PERFECTLY clear. I hope that I either very literally get an offer that I can't refuse, or that I don't get offered the position. When I consider the actual number of hours that working would have me away from my kids (during the school year), they are very minimal, and the flexibility that a work from home position would afford would mean that I would not miss games and activities that would matter to my kids. Being able to have an au pair who could cook and do laundry and food shop would mean that our weekends could be filled with fun activities, rather than me simply doing all of the household chores that I could not attend to during the week. Obviously bringing someone into our home would be a HUGE change, one that could be very awesome (we would learn Spanish as we would seek out a Spanish speaking Au Pair!) or could be really tough if we don't match with the right person.
I'm terribly nervous. I admit to big sobbing heaving crying jags around this entire endeavor ~ but I also admit to butterflies of excitement when I had my suit on and remembered how much I had enjoyed my career. I loved contributing financially, and I did love what I did.
We will see what happens. I will know something one way or the other this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment