Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easter 2013


The kids find their Easter Baskets. I had a feeling that *somebody* would be up creeping around early, so instead of putting them on the kitchen table as usual, I put them out on the dining room table. This way I got to see them "find" them.....my plan did backfire slightly as Julia started to cry when she thought the bunny didn't come. Had to quickly divert attention to where they were. 
 Aunt Millie, Mom, and I. Celebrating Moms birthday on Easter really made me miss Mom Mom this year, but having Aunt Millie with us made her seem there in spirit. 
 Mom Mom and Jake snuggle. My Mom has been helping me out on Wednesdays this year ~ we have lunch together, then I take Jules to school and get a couple of free hours while my Mom puts Luke on the bus and then puts Jake to bed. She sits and rocks him and sings to him as she puts him down ~ I feel like between these Wednesdays and all of the trauma of Jake's surgery/emergency Jake and my Mom have developed a special bond. He often wants her to sing "his song" to him, and they just seem to have a really sweet affinity for one another that warms my heart. 
 Mom and the birthday cake Becca made for her. Gorgeous, but more importantly, ridiculously delish ~ peanut butter and chocolate? Yes please! 
 Dinner! We had some great appetizers courtesy of Kim, then everyone else pitched in on the meal ~ total team effort here. We had ham, grilled lamb, mac and cheese, pineapple souffle, salad, homemade rolls, asparagus, and this delicious rice and roasted vegetable dish. Everything was wonderful and we did a better job of managing portions than last year ~ last year we had wayyyyy too much and this year was much more to scale. It was so nice to have Brian and his new girlfriend Meghan with us, and Chris Sharpe came as well as the rest of the family. The weather didn't really cooperate and the egg hunt never happened (it was chilly and started to rain a little bit before most people arrived). I saved them and I think that I'm going to have an end of school party and do an egg hunt. Why not? 
 Mom makes her wish. 60 years and she looks like a girl. It was so nice to have both my family and Nate's family together to celebrate Easter, and sing to my Mom. I love getting to host Easter! 



It was a great day! I love seeing the kids with their Grandparents and cousins, and of course selfishly I adore it because I get to have 2 families that I love together. The kids had a nice day ~ as the cousins get older it is so much fun to see the relationships that they are establishing ~ the girls all doing one thing and the boys another, it really works out well.

Next up is Hawaii. I'm a little intimidated at the moment but I know it will all come together.  Its a busy weekend and then Nate is pretty much away next week until we meet up on the plane. I keep telling myself that. If I say it enough it has to come true, right?

3 comments:

  1. looks like a really wonderful party!! That cake!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be your mom when I grow up. She looks amazing, as does the cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Happy Easter wishes to you all. Your mom looks lovely and how wonderful to have two huge families there to celebrate her day. Would that we should all be so loved.

    Have a wonderful trip in Hawaii. The anticipation of the unknown is always the hardest part. Hope it exceeds all of your best dreams and you all enjoy some much deserved R&R. xo

    ReplyDelete