Wednesday, November 21, 2012

We are grateful.

 I have a confession. I really am not impressed with Luke's Kindergarten situation. We are grappling with decisions about his education at the moment, and at times they strike me as huge.......and at times they strike me as ridiculous. As someone who went to public school through 5th grade (and LOVED it) and then went to private school (and HATED it) ((double disclaimer that I remain eternally grateful for said private school for introducing me to my soul sister and sanity keeper and forever friend Jeannie))....and am hitched to a wonderful product of public education......we were very married to the idea of public school for our kids. We are in a great school district. We are suffering through a bad teacher situation. Luke is in a class of 16. AWESOME! AWESOME! But the situation just isn't awesome. And we are struggling. Pushing and pulling against one another, and against the God awful cost of private education, let alone the stigma, we are exploring our options. I can tell you that this decision is rending my soul in many ways, which I won't even get into. Luke had to camouflage his turkey, and I think this is pretty cool. I think that Luke is super cool. And I think that Luke can be super cool wherever he is......but a parents soul desire to foster a child's innate and full capability is strong, too. And I can tell you that it is a challenge to know how to best support ones child, and ones desires for ones child.....period. Ever. Always. Amen. Shit.  
 As a reward for Luke's good behavior at school he was treated to a weekend ALONE in Cape May with Mom Mom and Pop Pop. He was beside himself. My big boy sometimes misses out on the rewards of being the big guy as he and Jules are more like twins than older and younger sibs. He came home so happy, so relaxed, so confident, and it was wonderful to have him back. I swear he was taller and like 2 years older, but whatever. They brought back fresh shrimp......which the kids devoured before Nate woke up from his 3pm Sunday well deserved nap on the couch. 
 My Jules at her Thanksgiving program at school. It was lovely. They had made us homemade applesauce and pumpkin bread, and treated us to a wealth of songs. While I would like to say that I can't believe that this sweet girl will be in K next year the truth is that I can't believe that she isn't in it already. She's a smarty, this one. A good cook, too! The funny thing is that for as much as she loves to play teacher or rule the roost around the house, she is surprisingly shy in front of a crowd~ the songs that she had been belting out around the house or serenading us with at night time (I'm in bed and I hear her singing to her self in her room :))......she was shockingly demure in front of the huge gathering of parents and grandparents. Thanks to my Mom babysitting and hanging out with Luke (who had no school ALL WEEK, WTH???) while Jake napped, I was able to attend. 
 Right? More to come on this. I was busy spray painting these letters today after pie making today. 
Two apple and two pumpkin and my little pumpkin joined the annual tradition as a non nursling for the first time! I love my family, and I miss my Stroudsburg family. We got to talk to Grandma today, and Jules one girl cousin on the Mangan side tonight, as we prepare for tomorrow. Our turkey is rubbed and ready for the fryer, the cranberry chutney just finished, and the brussels will be made tomorrow. I got to do some shopping this morning (for clothes! yay!) and then our lovie Brooke came over so that I could make her butternut squash soup for/with her for her Thanksgiving with her family tomorrow. Truly, she is a part of our family. Nate took the kids out to lunch while Brooke and I got to enjoy some time alone ~ I love her like a sister. Everyone ought to have a babysitter/caregiver who is a part of their family. I place her highly this year when I count our blessings.

Its a mixed bag for sure, eh?

The hip is a sticking point. I feel like my life has revolved around it.........good and bad. I have known my friends ~ received so so so much love. I have suffered. I won't lie. I have been very humbled.

In humility I have found empathy. And anger (a lot of anger). And strife. And confusion. And pie. I love pie. And I have found dance party!!! And I have found some quiet.....some quiet with my kids. I'm tryin. MAN, am I tryin. And failure. I'm finding failure in spades. And, its okay. It's just life, and I'm livin it as best I can. And we are doing pretty damn good. My kids amaze me. They outshine me.

I love you all. I love everyone who is trying, and who is humble enough to admit that they are trying.

Happy Thanksgiving. Friends. I don't know if anyone reads this anymore. If you do, Peace. To you and yours.

7 comments:

  1. I still read my Friend and I love when I see a new post.
    I am thankful for you and I look forward to a new year with peace and ease for both of us
    Happy thanksgiving !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too, Melis. As someone who is still paying exorbitant tuition for private kindergarten because I didn't like our local school, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so grateful for you and your family..., could not get through each day without you! And just know that you are being a good parent just by thinking about all this education stuff, and caring enough to want the very best for your children. It will all work out. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy (late) Thanksgiving to you and your family! I am still reading, still loving that I get to see your kids (and your!) faces. As someone that is also facing a not ideal kindy situation, I understand (at some level anyway) your struggle. It isn't easy.

    I ADORE Luke's turkey disguise. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids are so lucky to have regular time together with family to make fond memories with their grandparents and aunts/uncles!

    ReplyDelete