The three amigos, ready to head into the playground for the party. This was the FIRST attempt at the party. Giant Mom failure, at getting the time wrong. Doh!
Juila and Evie, her closest friend this year at school
Mrs. Crum
Mrs. Stevermen
Julia had her end of year picnic this past Thursday, right before Memorial Day weekend and the day after Luke's picnic. Nate had been gone all week. I had it written on my calandar, simply "Julia~ class picnic". No time. This gave me a little nervous flutter, but I figured that it HAD to be the same time as Lukes had been, or I would have written the time. I always kept their newsletters for the present month on my bulletin board, but had thrown them away in a cleaning spree the week before figuring that I was good for end of year at that point. Wrong.
I had carefully planned my day to the minute as I had a lot to do as Nate had been gone all week and I was getting the 4 of us ready for the beach, the house clean, the fridge cleaned out, and meal and birthday planning for the trip etc. I dutifully got every one fed, dressed, snacks packed, lunch planned for post party with the paltry remains left in the fridge, and we set off for the park. I was proud to be dressed up in my Mom best and not gym clothes, for once, as I had attended more than my fair share of events this year clad in gym ware. Showed up at the park at 9:30, and the kids immediately hit the playground equipment. I saw Julia's teachers and walked over to say hello. They said hello but with a quizzical smile. I got nervous. "What are you doing here this EARLY"? they said? "Her party doesn't start till NOON, this is the Tues/Thurs class party".
Shit.
I had to round up all three kids, Jake screaming as I pulled him off of the bridge.....and stuff the poor things back in the car, with my mind racing frantically. I did not have easily packable lunch stuff (I was going to make quesadillas and eat cottage cheese.....bare bones). I calmed everyone down with the promise of gym smoothies for lunch.....ran home, changed into my gym clothes, went to the gym, ordered lunch from the cafe for the kids, worked out a little bit, picked up the lunch for the kids (with smoothies), and went straight from the gym back to the ACTUAL class picnic with lunch courtesy of the cafe, IN my stupid gym clothes yet again, and the kids had a great time, though it was really really hot. My day plan pretty much was shot, though I managed to get it together before Nate got back into town, and we celebrated the kids official end of year with a great dinner out at Iron Hill. We are getting to the point where family dinners out are actually getting *almost* relaxing and enjoyable again :). We were up and packed and out of the house by 8:45 on Friday morning to beat beach traffic, and had the best Memorial Day weekend that I can remember. More on that later.
Congrats Luke and Julia on a great year of school. I'm so proud of my little K and Pre-K students! Love you both so much.



No comments:
Post a Comment