Saturday, June 25, 2011

Just ask.

Hey, more me stuff! This blog is for my kids, it is their baby book....yet my story of my kids is incomplete without my stories of my/our selves. Kids ~ I fervently hope that some day you are three relatively normal, overtly happy people.....and that you enjoy reading about your old (probably annoying to you), Mom. Because while I am your Mom, and nothing in life brings me greater joy than watching you turn into the people who you are meant to be, I am also still a woman, and a wife, and an athlete, and myriad other things. I hope that I live well and relatively sanely till a ripe old age, but in case I don't, maybe this blog will help you know me or understand me more.

It had been a tough week. There were bright spots. I was feeling down, however. Call it a job, call it a vocation, call it a calling, call it "unemployed" for all I care....but being a stay at home Mom is no joke. It is a full on physical and mental test of strength, like, extreme sport style.

Friday was my shining beacon of hope. I had to make it till Friday. We went to the gym. We went to camp orientation. I threw some lunch out and ran off to the course at 12:30, leaving the kids ever so happily in Brooke's hands.

Our paired twosome was a no show. We got there four minutes before our tee, playing with no warm up. The front was slow, as we were following foursomes. We killed time talking and playing "poison" on the tee box. It is hard to focus on golf when you are waiting between shots.

At the turn I asked Nate if he thought that we could ask to play through the foursome ahead of us as. The guy at the clubhouse said ~ of course!

We pulled up to the 10th tee and realized that his buddies were already at the tee. We opted to not be pushy and to stay silent, but they saw us and waved us on.

Nate stepped up to the tee and nailed on, from 170 yards out, to two feet. That ball just SAT. It was beautiful and the closest (by far) either one of us had ever been to the hole from the tee.

We raced right down to my tee, where the men were parked. I quickly pulled three clubs out of my bad, slightly intimidated (as often happens) to be quick and to "not play like a girl".

I was annoyed that there was no yardage at the tee. I grumbled about no yardage (assuming that I would hit a bad shot but have an excuse!), picked my pitching wedge, and swung away.

I thought that it was an okay shot ~ left of the pin.

I started to pick up my tee ~ and then watched the ball land...right on the top of the crest....and then roll, to the right, to the right and into the hole.

It just dropped in, silently and sweetly, to the hole.

I don't have any idea what I did. I really don't. I just remember looking over at the 5 people on the cart path, and noticing that they were all running directly towards me, and being unsure about what the heck to do. I hugged them, and shook a little.

We drove down to the hole. Thank goodness Nate has a phone with a good camera, as he snapped this picture of me right after I lifted my ball from the hole. People around us were yelling. I had chills. It was so super weird!

I went on to shoot the lowest 9 of my life (37) for my new low score (shot like the minute before I got pregnant 5+ years ago) of an 85. Nate was insane on the back, shooting a 35 for a day of 78. Our low rounds of the season/ever. I felt like I was having an out of body experience.

It was so much fun. It was so much luck! It was so kind. It was just so kind of that ball to find the cup. It was so kind of the universe to give little old Melissa a shout out.

I have had a smile on my face since that moment. We had friends over last night, spent the morning at the pool, took a three hour family nap, I ran 8 miles, we picked fresh raspberries at Buddy's which we ate over ice cream after a delicious dinner, and we are tucking in for the evening in great spirits.

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome story. Someday you can tell it (for the 16th time) to Jules when you take her golfing with a few of her girlfriends. How fun will that be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hellooo friend. Love that you got a hole in one. You are pretty awesome my dear. Sending you a whole lotta love from Chi town. Just know that I think you rock. XO

    ReplyDelete