So. We had a little birthday eve cake and singing for Nate tonight. All was well. Some lovely salmon and salad and grilled bread and asparagus....then cake. Warning: this blog post will ensure that once again I am not a contender for Mother of the Year.
All is well, still. We sing. Luke is primed to blow out the candles.
Candles are blown out. All still appears to be going very smoothly here in my photo reconstruction. The candles are passed out to Luke and Jules to do their requisite frosting licking.....and I begin to cut the cake. I give the birthday boy a piece first, then cut Luke one, then Jules. I turn to clean the knife. This takes exactly 4 seconds. I turn back to find that everything has gone to hell. I actually let out a scream when I turn to see this ~ with Nate totally oblivious to the chocolate fest taking place in his lap.
I admit that my very first thought was OMG IS THAT POOP. It seemed so totally unfathomable to me that this happened in a matter of 4 seconds. And that Nate had no idea that his baby, and even his own hand, were covered in chocolate. I was all "IS THAT POOP?" and Nate was all "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HOLY CRAP WHAT HAPPENED WHAT IS ALL OVER JAKE HOW THE HECK DID HE GET CAKE? CAN HE HAVE CAKE? CHOCOLATE? HE IS A BABY! A PRESHIOUS BAYBEEEE!"
As I rushed him over to the sink to clean him up Nate went all CSI and found a pretty clear clue as to what had happened. Swiper was in the hiz-house. Sneaky fast, this baby is. Sneaky fast.
It's almost a relief to be out of the running for Mother of the Year in January. Things can only get better from here, right? Chocolate in, on, and covering my 8 month old. Awesome.
HAAAAA....and yeah, my first thoughts were Poop?! No wait, it's Nate's birthday - CHOCOLATE!"
ReplyDeleteI don't blame the guy! That cake looks DELISH!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Nate and WTG JAKE! :)
BWAH! Awesome!
ReplyDeleteThank goodness it wasn't poop! He is a quick little bugger! Great story!
ReplyDelete