Sunday, June 6, 2010

Summertime





I spent the first week after Jake's birth more or less in the house. Having been outside all weekend, I can say with full confidence that it is now summer here in Pennsylvania. Yowzers is it hot and humid.

We have had such a busy week ~ lots of visitors. Grandma and Grandpa came down on Thursday, and little Jake met his Aunt Meredith and Uncle Kevin and three of their cousins yesterday. In between, my girlfriends have been coming over, laden with delicious food, to meet and welcome Jake. We hit the pool on Friday afternoon as a family of 5 for the first time. I sat in the shade with Jake while Daddy played lifeguard to Luke and Jules in the pool, and it was great.

Last night we celebrated my birthday with a delish dinner at Mom and Dad's house. We are settling into a good rhythm around here, as we adjust to having a newborn in the house. I would say that as of right now, the adjustment seems to be hardest on Luke. He adores Jake and talks about/hugs him constantly, but his behavior/temperment has taken a hit. He just isn't quite himself these past few days. I am hoping that this adjustment passes quickly. I alternate between being frustrated with him and then feeling a rush of remorse/empathy for this tiny little person who is just trying to make sense of the changing landscape of his entire world. He has spent a lot more time with other people this week, Mommy went missing for days during labor/hospital, I came home more short tempered and in pain and physically limited as I recovered, and Jake is here and getting a lot of attention. It is a lot for a three year old to deal with, and I am trying to keep this in the forefront of my mind when I feel myself get frustrated with him.

Nate is going back to work later this week (from home, he is not going to travel for a few more weeks) so we have yet another adjustment ahead of us. Nate has been amazing all week ~ heading up feeding the kids, bathing them, putting them down for naps and bed etc. I don't have any idea how women do this without supportive and capable partners, I feel so blessed that my kids have a Dad like Nate.

Jake continues to be a wonderfully easy baby ~ he probably sleeps about 22 hours/day at this point. When he isn't sleeping he is nursing. I feel like I can SEE him growing. This newborn thing passes so very quickly I am just savoring the sights and smells and faces and skin and general deliciousness of him right now.

2 comments:

  1. oh, sweet luke! hang in there. i bet in a month he will hardly remember a time before luke was around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the mei tai. Is it a babyhawk?

    Glad to hear Jake is such a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete