Jake the Snake is 4 weeks old today.
We celebrated by cracking open and serving up his first bottle this morning, which was warmly received. I think that I have a hoarding issue with pumped milk in the freezer, so to see little man suck down a bottle so easily makes me have a glimmer of hope of a social life at some point in the near future. SOCIAL LIFE! WHOOHOO! To say that Jake likes to nurse is an understatement. I don't know if it is a growth spurt, a comfort thing, or simply an inordinately hungry baby ~ But for the past week I feel as though all I have done is nurse. That includes all night long sometimes hourly Jake and Mama parties for about the past week. He isn't fussy while awake, just HUNGRY. Luckily I don't need a ton of sleep, but MAN am I looking forward to some longer stretches.
The reward for all of that lost sleep? Baby fat. A big, heavy, rolly boy. He is over 12 lbs something now. Also? Smiles!!! Big, happy, gummy baby smiles. The sort that catch my breath. He started lavishing us with them this past weekend. I adore it. He is also losing his hair ~ I will shortly have a giant, round, mongo baby with a Que ball head. First we will go through that super attractive male pattern baldness receding hairline look ~ hopefully the baby acne clears up before that or poor Jake will be suffering his first, um, awkward period? at a very young age.
To celebrate the 4 week thing he and I are off to stroller fitness and some errands while Brooke makes Luke and Julia happy here at the house.
Happy, patient Mama is slowly returning. Luke and Julia feel like my children again vs. loud shockingly huge mosquito's. I feel myself injecting fun back into their lives vs. just being some short tempered grumpy shrew. The effects of feeling bad physically are not to be underestimated on ones ability to Mother with kindness and love. I thought that perhaps I had forever lost my Mama Mojo there for a bit, but now I have flickers of hope that I can still be semi-okay at this whole gig now that I am feeling better and getting into a groove. Hope. Hope is good.
I feel great. This has been my easiest postpartum period emotionally, though my toughest physically. Nate returns tonight from his first trip and we got through it easily. It feels good to be back to our normal family routine, I think that we all needed it.
Jakester ~ Thanks for these past 4 weeks, wee man. You are a joy. I love you so.
I love that fat boy! Simply adorable. Enjoy the knowledge that he now can sleep for longer stretches..., and maybe soon he WILL!
ReplyDeleteman, the fatter he is, the cuter he gets (is that possible, to get CUTER??) keep nursing! every hour!!!
ReplyDeleteSoooooo cute! I just want to nom on his little cheeks. :D
ReplyDelete