Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Haircut.



So.

Motherhood has made me aware of how the most innocent of circumstances can quickly turn heinous.

Luke is napping in a diaper most days. He generally wakes up dry. The other day he told me that he didn't want to nap in a diaper. Okay. I didn't foresee that being a 4+ hour nap day, or a day where I had unexpected visitors who caused me to lose track of time and not wake Luke up when I realized how late it was. He woke up wet. His duvet was wet.

I changed the sheets and put a spare duvet on his bed that night. The next day I thought "Hey, I will just throw the duvet in the washing machine, along with the duvet cover. I'll just give it some extra spin cycle time and I am sure everything will be just fine". I threw it in.

Fast forward an hour, and it was time to get the kids dressed for the day. It hit me that Julia's hair was getting really scraggly in the front, so I asked if she wanted me to cut her hair. She said yes. I grabbed the scissors and brought them upstairs with me.

The washer was done. I went to check the duvet. It was SOAKED. Like, three million lbs of saturated soaked soggy duvet sort of soaked. Like, so soaked that I was worried that the sheer wet weight of it would break my washing machine. I panicked. I grabbed the sodden mess, and ran/staggered downstairs and out onto the back deck. Gasping and soaked under the weight of the dripping queen sized disaster, I threw it over the deck railing. Of course the cover immediately fell over, into the muddy snow melty grass below. Awesome. I ran to get it, and threw the now muddy (previously white, of course) duvet cover over the porch railing. Did I mention the cold front we are in the middle of? It was about 25 out that day as I performed my wet t shirt contest wrestle out on the deck in the wind. I ran back inside and upstairs, freezing, to get back to the kids.

I heard hilarious laughter emanating from the bathroom.

I walked in.

As sunlight streamed in the window I saw Julia sitting on the potty, Luke standing above her, and a flurry of fine blond hair flying around in the air. See results in top photo. It was a Jon and Kate mullet-meets-hockey-hair disaster. I had left the scissors in reach, and Luke had gone and given Julia her very first haircut.

All due to me and my laundry mishap, and total carelessness/panic/bad decisions on my part.

I did my best to mitigate the mullet this week when I took the scissors back to poor Julia's head. After a shell shocked 2 days of straightness, her hair is resuming its cute little curl in the back, and I am marveling at how grown up my girl looks. I love it!

To follow up on the duvet ~ I went back outside about an hour later to find a mud covered duvet cover frozen stiff, and a 3,000 pound neatly compartmentalized ice bag blanket hanging on my deck. The baffling had literally created 60 duvet ice bags in my once fluffy and soft duvet.

It spent the next three days being rotated and dried hanging over the guest bathroom shower, a giant reminder to not act hastily.

As I start to shop fort Julia's "big girl bedding" I have crossed all duvets off my list and decided to only opt for easily machine washable quilts.

Gah.

5 comments:

  1. :) Company Kids actually makes some very nice and very washable down (or down alternative)duvets. You can even personalize them with their names. Regan's has survived through many washings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I wish you had that all on video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the laugh today :) I'm glad it all turned out ok in the end!! Oh the stories of mommies....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omgoodness! I knew about the haircut, but the duvet fiasco makes it worse! I don't know that I wouldn't have just thrown it out! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think the haircut looks great!!! sweet kids :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete