Saturday, November 7, 2009

Animal Identification.

So yesterday Luke was going to the bathroom up in the kids bathroom. Julia was keeping him company while I ran around getting their outfits for the day together. I overheard them talking. Luke was telling Julia (in detail) what he was doing.

"See Julia? Now I goin pee pee in the potty".
"Yay Luke. Now I goin poop Julia."
"Julia, no we not gonna take a bubble bath now, silly Julia"
"MAMA! Julia is getting in the tub!"

etc etc while Julia giggled and chattered back.

I started getting Jules undressed when she told me that she had to go potty. I took off her diaper and her sleeper, left on her undershirt, sat her on the little potty, and started getting Luke undressed.

I got distracted by a phone call and walked away from them for a moment. Still on the phone, I heard them talking heatedly back and forth. As I got off the phone and was walking back towards them, this is what I saw.

Jules, sitting on her potty, naked but for her undershirt. Luke naked but for his Mickey Mouse underwear and his socks, squatting in front of her, inches from her body, pointing at her shirt.

Jules was yelling "Lamb!" as she pointed down at the fluffy white creature on her onesie. Luke would yell "No Julia, that's a SHEEP" right back at her, while also pointing at the creature.

"NO! Lamb!"

"NO! Sheep!"

Mama quickly stepped in. "Guys, you are both right, a lamb and a sheep are the same thing".

I asked Luke what a sheep says. He said "Baaaaaaaa". I asked Jules what a lamb says, she said "Ba Ba". They both started laughing.

This is when I blew our little moment of mutual understanding and education by over thinking it. "A lamb is a baby sheep, I said." (Or is it a girl sheep, I was thinking? Or ARE they same thing after all? ) Someday my kids are going to be asking for help with conjugating Spanish verbs, or geometric proofs, and I don't even know a sheep from a lamb.

I don't know if this is pregnancy brain, or if I am really just very dumb.

(I did look it up, here was my answer).

3 comments:

  1. just wait till it's dog and b*tch.
    Love your sweet little lambs/sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was sure you were going to share that they were trying to identify the shapes in a certain ceramic bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best is when kids ask you animal sounds and you don't know the answers. Like "what does a giraffe say or an anteater?."

    ReplyDelete