Saturday, October 10, 2009

Orange you glad I'm not YOUR Mother?

This is Jules, talking to Daddy on the phone while he was out of town this week. She signs off with a giant smacker of a kiss directly onto the phone.

In other news, Thursday was my first school failure. Orange Day. STUPID "Orange Day".

Orange day was written on my calendar. Luke's (orange) "Orange Day" shirt was picked out and clean. His "Orange Day" show and tell item was picked (his basketball). Yet Thursday morning came and went ~ Nate out of town, the kids sleeping late, me rushing around feeding and dressing and only thinking about me and my stupid boxing class and WHERE ARE MY BOXING GLOVES and JULES STOP THROWING OATMEAL ON THE FLOOR! and MULLIGAN YOU STINK! and LUKE STOP DROPPING DOG FOOD IN THE WATER BOWL AND LAUGHING WHEN IT SWELLS UP LIKE A BALLOON...............

and forgetting all about the shirt, and the ball, and my calendar.

And when I got to school, and saw the other kids (the ones with the good Mom's) in their Orange Day orange shirts and with their Orange Day orange items, I felt like a failure. I had my stupid boxing gloves, but forgot everything my kid was supposed to have (even including his bucket ~ epic fail day for me).

I confess to getting teary as I pulled out of the schools parking lot. Luke could not have possibly cared less. The entire concept of Orange Day mattered not to him, all he cared about was playing with his friends. Didn't phase him at all to be the kid with the sucky Mom. I know that. I do. But it phased me. Babies are easy ~ You can't forget to feed or change a baby ~ they have wickedly effective ways of letting you know when you are forgetting something. I started having visions of being the same Mom as I was student ~ rushing to cover my kids books the morning of school while the bus is outside waiting, forgetting to return permission slips, forgetting field trips, or special days. Argh.

I need practice.

Till then, all I have to say is LOOKOUT black day (next week).......I am going to be all OVER you. I OWN you Black Day.


6 comments:

  1. You are so not a bad mom for forgetting "Orange Day"! I forgot "Yellow Day" one time, and had the same feelings as you did! But alas, we are still good moms and doing the best we can! And yey for the boxing class--that must be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man Jules is cute. I wish she was talking to me on the phone!

    I want black day pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when MY mom forgot "Red Day". I've yet to forgive her.

    /or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh melis! i forgot julia's halloween costume last year. it was hanging on the door of her room. i was DEVESTATED when we arrived to school and Julia was the only one not in an elaborate costume (ok, maybe some kids had plain costumes) it was awful. i cried. and a year later i am still sad. she didn't care and i doubt she remembers...but i felt like i missed something SO BIG. ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen ~ You called me in tears. I remember that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something I would do. Gavin had slumber party day at his pre-school and was the only kid whose mom forgot to bring a sleeping bag. His nice teacher let him use a blanket, but I felt terrible! Now my boys are in elementary school and I often forget library books because their school doesn't use Monday-Friday. They use a 6 day rotating cycle and I can never remember which day is library day because it changes every week - ugh!

    ReplyDelete