The kids are sleeping, and I am about to crawl into bed for one of those luscious cloudy day at the beach naps. The ocean is so rough due to a hurricane offshore that they have closed the ocean to keep swimmers safe, so we are all enjoying a day of rest from the beach.
We had a fantastic first week of vacation. Long days on the sunny beach, 80 degree water, lots of bike rides and runs and big dinners and kids sharing a nap in the stroller for several hours of blissed out peace on the beach every day sort of days. Many sand castles smashed and seagulls chased and waves jumped. We spent one wild night in Wildwood, where I got to watch my two kids ride the rides side my side as they cracked up at everything and anything. Wildwood is like a foreign country, I felt like I should have gotten a stamp in my passport crossing over the bridge from Cape May. My neck still hurts from constant swiveling and gawking and delighted/horrified disbelief at the general sights and sounds. Getting in at 5 and out by 8 seems to be the secret to the entire family having a great time. It was a perfect night.
The kids get worn out from the long days on the beach, Jules slept almost 14 hours last night AFTER both her and Luke took a 4 hour nap yesterday afternoon. We took them crabbing yesterday morning and it was awesome to watch them wandering around in the water pulling up our crab traps and delighting in the seaweed and rocks and old nasty rope they found in the water.
We are going to actively give the whole potty training thing a go with Luke this week. He is accident free when allowed to roam the world naked.....but I think that underwear feels too much like his cloth diapers, and he has accidents while in underwear. So, we are going to just give it a go, starting this morning. We will see. The idea of him starting preschool potty trained is very appealing to me. Anyone with tips feel free to comment, or email or call me or just send me xanax or something. You know me, two hours and three pairs of underwear into it and I was already frustrated ;) Luckily Mom is here to keep me calm and to reassure me that a kid who can use the potty without accidents all day long is, indeed, ready to potty train. Wish us luck. No pictures until I get home as my laptop had a very expensive accident which will.not.be.talked.about.
Your beach trip and all the sleeping sounds wonderful!
ReplyDeleteWhen I first started to PT Caleb I went cold turkey on the (disposable) diapers except for nap and night. It was a very random decision and I'm glad I did it that way. I made sure he had on shorts that were easy for him to pull up/down. I used a timer for about a week to remind me to take him to the potty ever 30 minutes. Eventually I was able to remember on my own and would tell him to "take a potty break" every 45 minutes. He's not yet telling me/going on his own, but can do the whole potty/hand wash on his own which is WONDERFUL! It's been... 2 months and he's just getting to where he knows poo is coming before it's in his underwear. We're getting there! I'm very impressed. Good luck with your journey. HTH
i know this is late, and you prolly don't need any more advide..but i think it's such a good idea to not go back at all. no more diapers and no pull ups evah :)
ReplyDeletei agree with your mom :they are ready when they have the ability...not when they feel like it!!! go luke!
ReplyDelete