*For all those sensitive to bodily functions, the following post will likely contain several graphic references to those actions which pertain to bathroom use, most likely housed within horrid child appropriate phrases like "poop" and "pee pee". Should you not like to read about such things, skip this post. As much as I love these kids, I avidly look forward to a time when my vernacular no longer contains words like that as mainstays.
Okay. Disclaimer aside, I just tried typing out a first sentence and I was immediately disgusted while actually typing out the word "pee pee". Here's the facts. I say "pee pee" and "poop" all day long. As my kids are now asleep and I am officially in adult mode, I shall refrain from using those terms, and simply use #1 and #2. You all know which number refers to which action, I presume.
Luke has been doing #1 in the potty since he was about 19 months old. He so gets it. #2 however? Not so much. He gets it, and if he is naked, and needs to do #2, he will actually ask me for a diaper. I will offer the potty, he will say no, and so I will put a diaper on him, and within minutes he will come running up to me saying "Mommy Luke did #2 (sic)". Today I awoke to thunderstorms, and rain, and dark, and I had about 257 things to do around the house, so I decided that we would stay inside today. On a whim, I decided to leave Luke naked as he got out of the tub. I know nothing about potty training, other than that at some point in my own life, I did it. I thought about reading up on it, actually went so far as to check out a potty training book from the library, and returned it, unopened, 3 weeks later. Like most things in my mothering career, I think that I am going to wing it.
Luke did not have a single accident all day today. He wore a diaper to nap, and that's it. I don't know what to do from here. It seems that he "gets it". He tells me when he needs to go (#1) and goes. Thing is, #2? Won't do it on the potty. Today post nap he went running over to his potty saying "Mama Luke #2" as he unsnapped his diaper and went to sit on the potty. His diaper contained a, well, a large bit of #2. He then went a little tiny bit on the potty. Progress? He also ran around naked or just with a shirt on all day long today. We have playgroup at our house tomorrow, and I would feel rather strange having my kid running around commando with all of the other, (clothed!) children. I guess I will just put him in his diapers. Is that confusing to him? Garh. I figure that like most things in life, when something is ready to/meant to happen, it will. Is Luke ready to potty train (I believe that potty learning is today's cool progressive catchphrase du jour........whatever)
I have to say, that one of the most hilarious things about today was watching Jules watch Luke use the potty. She literally squats down in front of him, while clapping and yelling "Yay!". Not kidding. It seems that Luke has no issues with stage fright, as he performs with perfection in front of a crowd.
Jules is a kid. She walks around all day talking. "Hi Da Da" is far and away her favorite phrase. The other hits on the soundtrack of my life include "get down", "have that have that have thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! (generally said in a fishwife-ish shrieking manner), "all done", "have more", "Ma Ma UP", "Dog Ruff Ruff Ruff" and others. I am totally flabbergasted by this child and her vocabulary. Her enunciation of many words is better than Luke's. She says "Aunt Becca" just like that, rather than "Aunt Ecka" like Luke does. Her personality is just coming on strong these days. Jules, at 14.5 months, you are a riot. You are literally the most snuggly baby I could possibly imagine. I pick you up and you wrap your legs around me, throw your arms around my neck, and lay your head on my shoulder. You make your love so known. You would probably crawl back inside of my body, were it possible. You have a clear knowledge of what you want, and a clear ability to communicate that want, much to my joy and (I was going to write occasional, but frequent is more honest) frustration. You watch everything. The cadence of your speech is a clear copyright violation of Luke's. You say exactly what he says, exactly like he says it (think, dip dip dip). You are the funniest little eater, eating everything placed in front of you with a seriousness that I just adore. You eat every veggie and fruit known to man, with the exception of blueberries, which you bite, remove from your mouth, and throw on the floor as you say "no no no". I cannot fathom how you don't like blueberries, but, you don't. As soon as you are done your meal, (literally while you are still chewing your last bite) you will start saying "all done all done all done" while ripping off your bib, dangling it over he floor, watching me watching you dangle your bib, and then you say "No no noooooooo" while wagging your finger. If I don't get to you soon enough, you drop your bib on the floor. Very effective technique, sweet thing.
Anyway. That's where we are. I am sitting in bed writing this courtesy of the new laptop that Nate surprised me with for my birthday. I feel very SJP/Carrie, minus the single life, the cigarette, the NYC apartment, the mole, and the talent.
hey..i read a few things that might help: the "ready when they are ready" thing is bunk according to one author (?) it's about when they are capable, and therefore need to learn that the potty is the acceptable place for #1 and #2. cloth diapered ones usually train earlier (before the advent of disposables, most children trained before age 2) and if luke wants a diaper to go #2 in, try to get him at least to go in the bathroom to do it; then to be sitting on the potty with the diaper on..so step by step he is learning the process and therefore less fear of #2 on the potty! plus, i'd stop the diapers. i'd go get those thick padded undies. he's rocking! go luke!!
ReplyDeleteYay for progress! What a great cheerleader Juls is!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are making great progress. I don't necessarily think that you need to force Luke to do anything - he seems to be going along at his own pace and taking forward steps.
ReplyDeleteSam was never shy about peeing around us, but #2 has to be done in privacy. He REFUSED to poop in the potty for a long time. It took us realizing (by him running off to hide and poop) that he needed privacy. Now he will tell us "Go away, Mommy/Daddy" when he needs to go #2. He tends to wait until he is home from daycare before he goes #2.
What kind of laptop did you get??!! What a great gift! Go Nate!
ReplyDeleteRight away I notice that blogging in bed leads to much more informative posts! It's easier to be detail oriented when your not sitting in an uncomfortable chair hunched over a desk top.
Lex, its a Mac. Love it. And yes, much more comfortable!
ReplyDelete