
I have gotten the "are they twins?" thing three times this past week. Until recently, this question was usually only asked by those suffering from severe visual impairments, or those not quite all "there". It's pretty (okay, totally completely) obvious to me that my children are not the same age, but apparently it isn't to others. I am sure that this question is one that I will hear throughout their childhoods.
The second child phenomenon astounds me. I don't know if it is simply more severe in my case because of how close in age Luke and Jules are, or if it is like this in every family. Jules is a kid already, at 14 months. She does everything that Luke does. She pretty much spends her entire day looking at Luke, then doing exactly what he is doing. Jules talks, sings, dances, plays, and takes her falls like a big kid already. While it cracks me up, it also breaks my heart. My little baby, playing golf, reading books, and demanding "more music" every time a song ends during our after dinner dance parties. Luke, in turn, adores his baby sister. He never asks for something without asking for one for her. I remember feeling like I was "cheating" on Luke early in my pregnancy with Julia. I felt guilty that he was going to be an only child for such a short time. Now I just look back and laugh. I cannot possibly imagine a way that we could have come up with a better gift for Luke than sweet Jules has turned out to be. Aside from claiming our hearts, Julia has totally stolen her brother's.
In other news, we were out at a dinner party last night and came home to find that Mulligan had gotten himself sprayed by a skunk AGAIN, and AGAIN was let in the house before the realization struck. So our dog stinks, and our house stinks, and serious talks were had on the golf course today regarding the Dog's happiness, our happiness with the Dog, and so on. Negotiations continue. Anyone just pining away for a heavily scented Wheaten Terrier who has a lot of love to give? Call me.
The kids had a blast at a graduation party tonight, and fell into bed dirty and tired and slightly sticky. We are off to high school again tomorrow as the kids are going to visit Becca's class. Tomorrow is also our first official pick up at the farm. I can't wait to see the kids go hog wild in the picking garden. The week is jam packed, and to be honest, I'm already getting a little tired thinking about it, so I'm going to bed.
They don't really seem "twinsy" to me, but they are equally adorable. I get the twins comments all.the.time. I was thinking they might slow down when Lucas is bigger than Kailey (pretty darn soon), but you are making me think that probably won't be the case. Oh well, it's either that or "wow, they're close in age"...people have a comment for everything.
ReplyDeleteSorry about Mulligan. Hope you have the whole "getting rid of skunkiness" thing down by now. ;)
Ok I'm going to be a nerd.
ReplyDeleteMy brother and I used to get that question right up until we were both at the same college.
I would ask the person why they thought we were twins- to which they would reply "Well you look so much alike and you could be the same age."
But that logic doesn't follow for a brother and sister. If I need to expand upon this I will but, do you get my rejection of "you are twins b/c you look so much alike (bro/sis)"?
Karly, one of my best friends has kids 13 months apart (girl first) and continues to get the question almost daily (they are 6 and 5 now, with little brother being 3.5 :))
ReplyDeleteAnd Jeannine, my brother and I were running together on the boardwalk in Cape May last weekend (by choice, we were not being chased, believe it or not) and I reminded him of the time when we were little kids and were walking down the same board walk togehter and some teenager said to us "You guys make the cutest couple!".
Now, I love my brother. But I would much rather have people assume that he was my twin than my BOYFRIEND!
(craptastic side effect of being short, while also being 3.5 years older than your little brother). I know you can't relate....I know (jealous).
i have to admit that the pic you posted last year on the porch in cape may where they are bothing wearing ireland (go braugh!) jersies had me not only wondering IF they were twins, but also WHOSE twins they were...? isn't that weird? and someone once referred to me as my dad's wife (ugh) had to throw that in b/c i'd rather someone think petie and iw ere a couple , than my own father (sic)
ReplyDelete:)
jen