So I betrayed my children's trust yesterday.
Back around Christmas time I posted about Santa and all of the weird ethical feelings he roused in me. My friend Cammi pointed out that Santa was nothing compared to the giant man dressed as creepy plastic faced bunny that we call the "Easter Bunny". Since she mentioned that to me, I have been dreading the appearance of the bunny man. The cult-that-masquerades-as-a-gym that we belong to had an Easter Festival/breakfast with the Easter Bunny/Easter egg hunt yesterday. I love free breakfast, and I love cheesy opportunities to let my children hunt plastic eggs, so I signed us up. For two days I thought about how the bunny man was going to be there. I decided that I really didn't need to put my children on the lap of the man dressed as bunny. Then we got there, and I did. Shamelessly. I handed over my precious kids to the bunny man. Look at the betrayal on Luke's face. He totally gave bunny man a "What you talkin bout Willis?" look as he inched away from him. Julia, meanwhile, was too taken with her pretty paper bracelet to even notice that she was sitting on the lap of a creepy bunny.
An Easter egg hunt in a gym is hilarious, by the way. Lacking grassy knolls and flowerbeds to hide eggs in, they resorted to plastic cones and parachute tent structures. It was a melee. Kids running everywhere, and parents bumping into one another because they were all walking around watching everything through their camera lens. Luke was a great hunter, and gallantly showed his baby sister the ropes. Julia bounced up and down with delight the first time she picked up a cone to find a shiny plastic egg beneath it.
In other news, while we ate breakfast today Julia ran around the kitchen with lipstick in one hand and a debit card in the other, screeching with delight. Friends gave her "My First Purse" as a birthday present, and she opened it this morning. Serious.Delight. It came replete with a cell phone, mirror, debit card, car keys, lipstick and a wallet. It was both the cutest thing that I have ever seen, and totally terrifying. My daughter, holding a cell phone up to her ear while chewing on a debit card. And its going to be all too soon that it's a real phone, and our real debit card. AAAArgh.
That bunny is completely creepy. I understand why they put the man in the bunny suit, but I still wish they'd just leave this particular character to the imaginations of the kids.
ReplyDeleteJulia and Luke are GORGEOUS!!!!
Oh and don't be so terribly jealous of T's bare arms and legs. I'd never complain about the weather here, but I do miss watching the seasons change.
The Bunny at our mall has eyeglasses. Creepier~
ReplyDeleteWhat is it with girls and cellphones?
I love Lukes face in this, he reminds me of you when weird people approach you
ReplyDelete