Monday, February 18, 2008

Luke is ONE










I think that I have been putting off this post. I can't believe that my little guy is already one. I'm living in this strange emotional overload land ~ reminiscing about "this time last year" for the past month now, and thinking about "this time next month" ~ running the emotional rollercoaster between missing my tiny newborn Luke, to loving the big strong funny toddler that he has become, to anticipating just who will be joining our family in a few short weeks. I understand that I am having a baby, but to date, all I know of having a baby is having Luke. Its hard to fathom that a different baby, a Non-Luke baby, will be born very shortly. I have no idea if that makes any sense or not, but its how I feel.

Luke had a fabulous birthday. His actual birthday (Wednesday) was spent alone with me all morning as Nate was down in DC. I made him a special banana waffle breakfast with fruit and syrup. The dog loved it. (Have I mentioned the special joy that Luke gets from sharing his food with the Dog? Something about sitting up high in his highchair pelting the ground and the dog with food seems to give Luke some sort of God complex as he bestows his wealth of food upon the lowly plebes below him). We had to skip playgroup, which made me sad as it was his birthday ~ but coming off of the illness streak we had been on I just really felt the need to let his little body recover without introducing any new illnesses. (Every gathering of small children is simply an experament in germ warfare this time of year, in my opinion). We were sad to miss out on seeing all of our friends on his birthday. Anyway. Nate came home to see his little guy that afternoon, and Luke opened his presents that night. I was a weepy mess as the night went on....thinking of being in labor and his birth. One year already! My little guy.

His birthday party was on Saturday. Ever the showman, Luke LOVED being the center of attention and played the perfect host to the 30 people we had at the house. He loved seeing all of his grandparents, and cousins and Aunts and Uncles in one place. As you can see from the pics above, his cake was a huge success. I could go on and on, but Nate is impatiently awaiting me in the living room so that we can hang out before he leaves for Boston tomorrow. Thanks to all who came to the party ~ Luke (and I) love you like mad and cant even imagine our lives without all of your love and support!

2 comments:

  1. I just love little Luke's pictures! What a lucky mommy to have such an amazing little man :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Luke!

    Melissa ~ you have put into words so many of my thoughts on having another little person. I remember waiting for Luke to come last year (when you started your lodge and then on you BB) and I am just as excited for you to be welcoming another perfect little creature into the world. (Maybe even a girl?! LOL).

    You have done a great job, mama!

    ReplyDelete