Saturday, February 23, 2008

Snow much fun






We got home from VA after a wonderful three days. Luke was a total champ, as usual, while travelling. The resort was awesome, the food great, the spa delightful, catching up with friends wonderful, and I got to see both Christine and Ronan, and Tamara and Regan (hi!). I'm flat out beat. I have to say, that I'm really really craving some time with no travel, no packing, unpacking, extra laundry, all of the thinking that is involved with travel with a youngster etc etc. I need to make a more conscious effort to relax and refresh before this baby arrives.

I need to pack a hospital bag. I can't believe how soon this baby is going to be joining our family. The baby pool is filling up ~ most everyone seems to have this baby coming right around its due date (I think that I picked March 19th). I can't wait to see if I have a son or a daughter in there delighting me with its crazy movements ~ I have to say, I know that some people love knowing the gender of the baby ahead of time ~ but I am just way too much of an excitement junkie. The last few weeks are absolutely tortuously delicious to me as I wonder if its my son or my daughter who I have been getting to know these past 36 weeks. I love hearing the guesses of my friends and family. I already can't wait to make the phone calls to my friends once this baby has arrived. I had a little foot in my ribs this morning at 5 am prodding me awake, lately I feel as though this baby is going to be big.

Anyway. It snowed while we were away, so Nate ran out and picked up a sled so that Luke could experience his first snow day. He loved it. I think that maybe we loved it even more. Its amazing seeing things through your children's eyes ~ droll and common things get exciting again. I was a little giddy getting him ready to get into the snow.

Nate and I are pretty much on the same page with the whole parenting thing in general. There have been a few things that we came into our marriage with a different perspective or background on ~ He was raised Catholic, me Non Denominational. He is a Jets fan, me an Eagles fan. Those things have been worked out very smoothly....... We just discovered another difference. Nate calls sledding "Sleigh Riding". I (like the rest of the world) call it "sledding" (to me the term "sleigh" denotes horses and jingle bells and maybe even Santa) . Anyone else out there call it "Sleigh Riding"? Input?

10 comments:

  1. It's sledding.

    I hate it when it is called "tobogganing". To me, that is the worst word ever!

    Glad you had a great vacation...time to get ready for baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also call it sleigh riding. Maybe it's a 'burg thing! Nonetheless, it's fun with toddlers, isn't it????

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS a burg thing Dana ~ Or maybe even a Scranton thing? We had a neighbor at our old house from North Pocono and SHE called it "sleigh riding" too. And yes, it was a blast. This winter has been so snow bare I was starting to fear that we would not get to do it at all! Hugs to Will and Elisabeth :)

    I guess I can at least count my blessings that he does not call it "Tobogganing!!!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,
    If he approaches you and tells you he wants to go "sleigh riding" with the "cutterman" next door.....run!!! ;) He can explain that one to you too, if he hasn't already. Local vernacular at it's finest!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,

    I have been a faithful reader of your blog for some time now. I have a 3 month old little boy, and I just found out I'm pregnant again! Your blog has even more meaning to me now, because you're doing what I'll be doing in a few months (hopefully, if all goes well with my pregnancy). :) I can't wait to hear what you're having! From the way you're carrying, I would guess girl! Good luck with everything - I am so excited for your birth announcement and baby pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have to step in here. Its called "sleigh riding", simply because you are riding a sled and "sled Riding" sounds stupid. "Sledding" sounds too much like work, ie "I have to wake up and go "sledding" tomorrow.
    baby daddy

    ReplyDelete
  7. calling sledding "sleigh riding" is totally cuckoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nate, you can't raise your children calling it "sleigh riding". they'll get beat up!! you may as well name them ELLIOT
    (pardon to all the elliots out there)

    ReplyDelete
  9. me again,
    elliot was my husbands favorite name, it's not really bad..i just wanted something else! i hope i didn't hurt anyone's feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want to give you credit for sledding at 9 months pregnant. You rock.

    ReplyDelete